Subject: RE: [humanmarkup-comment] Base Schema - symbol

Attribute quicksand=Confusion and overlap of terms between elements
and attributes, in various schemata. Makes it more difficult to write
apps correctly. Attributes are really second class elements that in
some way are derivatives or aspects of the element to which they
belong and which then get a datatype to which you can assign a value.
Too many steps. Too many opportunities for errors to be generated. I
think most attributes could be elements on their own. In any event,
we don't have the choice except to limit use of attributes, for which
we are doing an acceptable job, in my opinion. My opinion only.

I just like to keep things as simple as I can, and in that sense,
having sign as the only element in the primary is actually simpler,
but just requires reworking everything else. I think it can be
handled in the semiotic process.

I think we will have problems later with classes, regardless, and
what we need to do is what we have already done in the Requirements
document by saying that there MUST be a means or method to change and
adapt and add to the Schemata of HumanML. It is the how that remains
to be thought about.

When I suggested that we think down the road about the Secondary
Base Schema I was thinking about defining the levels of abstraction
that go from symbolizaton to figuration/tropes in language groups.

I really do think that the semiotic processor is where the best work
could be done on making sign the most atomistic principle, along with
the semiote in building the most fundamentally accurate model of
communication.

At 9:50 AM -0500 10/10/02, Bullard, Claude L (Len) wrote:
>No, not a heart attack, but my initial drafts for
>the primary were based on the assumptions that
>experts would tear into it and offer suggestions
>for redesign.   We can do as you suggest, but I
>think we will have some problems later with
>the classes.
>
>Saussure assumed that all semantic assignments were
>arbitrary.  I agreed with that until I looked into
>icons.  A signifier whose meaning is derived from
>resemblance to the thing it signifies is not
>arbitrary.
>
>If we want to tie to emotions, I think Pearce
>comes closer to the model we need.   A sign
>system with no connections to the physical
>systems is essentially inert.  It has no
>source of energy.   It is good perhaps for
>the categorization of texts, but not much
>good for generative modeling.
>
>Why are attributes quicksand?
>
>len

Starbourne Communications Design
1361-A Addison, Berkeley, CA 94702 *510-849-2309