Subject: [huml-comment] RE: Human Markup Language 1.0 considered harmful

Hi Dennis,

Race is an issue we discussed at some length early on in the Phase 1
work. You would have to go the email archives on the OASIS site for
this time last year to see what that discussion covered. Regardless,
our decision on the including race is based on the principle that our
specification is not intended to specify definitions for terms in
common usage, but to incorporate them in such a way as to be
interoperable. Race, as such, like scars, marks and tattoos, comes
from the field of public safety as practiced, not as a prescription
for how it OUGHT to be used or discarded when practiced or used or
understood from any particular philosophical viewpoint. Since you are
commenting from a position of admittedly  incomplete sunderstanding
what the Human Markup Language is designed to be and to do, it seems
somewhat dubious to attempt to answer all of your specific
criticisms. We took a year and a half of very intensive work to
produce the smallest possible set of base terms which serve mostly as
placeholders for essential concepts from which more specific terms
can be derived and put into applications in a way that allows for
some standard descriptions of human characteristics and human
communication.

As for self assertion, it stems from a problem which we avoid
entirely, authentication, authorization and certification, and the
prospect of testing to see if there is any way to determine whether
any given entity is a currently living biological human being
actually engaged interactively with a computer at one end-point of a
real-time communication interaction on the Internet or in any given
network. When we simply accept self-assertion and ONLY begin to apply
our language in applications AFTER some authentication has taken
place, if it has taken place, and whether or not it has taken place,
we make it possible to simply evaluate the online behavior (if that
is part of an application using HumanML) against standards that are
as much as we can possibly make them, unbiased  culturally or in any
other sense we can reasonably avoid.

By doing that, we make it possible to achieve a greater degree of
accuracy in evaluating communications and, ultimately, in formulating
communications.

Gack! How pendantic can I possibly be. My apologies, it is too early
in my morning to be short and succinct.

P.S. We have a spot warm for you if you wish to have your opinions
count a bit more. But public comment is appreciated, so thanks.