Subject: [huml-comment] RE: Human Markup Language 1.0 considered harmfulREvisited

Hi Again,

Some short further thoughts.

On the small group of self-appointed standards writers:

This bothered me a lot until I started working with the one of the
largest of such groups, the Web Services for Interactive Applications
and Web Services for Remote Portals TCs, and I discovered that a core
of about 7-10 individuals did most of the work and conducted most of
the discussions. It turns out that this is the case for most TCs.

The main difference is that the main participants in these other TCs
are mostly paid by their companies, such as IBM, BEA, Sun and many
lower-tier industry notables. Those TCs do have many more voting
members, but our extended family of mailing list lurkers is probably
wider in terms of the range of interests beyond simple ecommerce. I
have discovered that such efforts are usually carried by the few, but
O how I would love to have more participants. While we haven't done
every possible outreach conceivable, we have attempted to bring more
participants into this effort. It is a bit difficult when we are
almost all volunteers and busy with the work itself as well as our
lives outside this effort.

I hope we hear from some other folks on this collection of withering
criticisms.

I have refrained from going into particulars of my own pet project
for HumanML:  Multi-User, Interactive, Real-Time, 3D-Virtual-Reality
Environments with standard VRML/X3D/H-Anim representations of humans
(avatars) capable of standards-based emotions and gestures in
addition to the other basic human behaviors of walking, running, etc.

Of course the subcommittee I will be switching my efforts to will
include the hard sciences of medicine and biology--including the
newest work on biometrics. We will derive the working terms for these
from the Primary Base Schema by extension and restriction, all of
which will adhere to and/or include or import the accepted standards
from these fields, as we adhere to name and address standards in the
primary base vocabulary.

Have a Happy Thanksgiving, all,
Starbourne Communications Design
1361-A Addison, Berkeley, CA 94702 *510-849-2309