Subject: Re: [office] preferred view mode upon opening document

Hi Jomar,

Jomar Silva <jomar.silva@br.odfalliance.org> wrote on 10/27/2008 09:14:03 PM:

> Jomar Silva <jomar.silva@br.odfalliance.org>

> Ming Fei Jia/China/IBM@IBMCN

> office@lists.oasis-open.org

> 10/27/2008 08:10 PM

> Re: [office] preferred view mode upon opening document

> Ming Fei,
>
> Two questions about the proposal:
>
> 1. Isn't a good idea to explicitly define an default view mode (e.g.
> Edit) to all applications that doesn't support a custom view mode ?

Good question. In the very original proposal, I have defined an default view mode "edit". Later, Warren suggested that do not define a default value because the ODF applications are not limited to trational office software, some other ODF applications such as e-book may have their specific view mode by default. Since this attribute is optional, most of applications may have no explict value specified, as well as different applications may have different default value. So I agree with Warren's suggestion, not define a default value. This is a compromised result. Warren, pls correct me if I'm wrong.

> 2. What about a sentence on the specification like: "It is
> recommended that all custom view mode specification documentation is
> made available to enhance documents interoperability" ?
>
> I think that too much application-defined things may gives to the
> users wrong impressions about interoperability.

In this proposal, it is difficult to avoid application-defined things since what we are defining preferred view mode is just to be defining the application behavior. I think here whether the custom view mode specification documentation is made available or not does not affect the document interoperability. Actually, as long as the preferred view mode value is specified explictly in the file, every application will display the content with the same mode upon opening the file. Only when no explict value is specificed, there exists the document interoperability issue, that is, different applications diplay the content with different view modes. But as I mentioned above ,this is a compromised result.If no this proposal, this issue still exists. Maybe I do not understand your meaning of document interoperability in this case completely. If any, correct me.