oic message

Subject: RE: [oic] ODF 1.1 compatibility / manifest:version in ODF 1.2

On Tue, 2012-11-13 at 14:11 -0700, Chris Rae wrote:
> Hi Svante - as I work for the producer who's neglecting to write the attribute, I think I owe you an answer to these questions.
>
> As I think has been said before on this thread, we are neglecting the
> attribute because our older implementations will declare the files as
> corrupt. The part of ODF 1.1 that caused us to declare the files
> corrupt is the opening sentence of section 1.5, "Document Processing
> and Conformance":
>
> "Documents that conform to the OpenDocument specification may contain
> elements and attributes not specified within the OpenDocument schema.
> Such elements and attributes must not be part of a namespace that is
> defined within this specification and are called foreign elements and
> attributes."
>
> We were reading this to mean, "the only situation in which you can use
> foreign elements is if they’re in a namespace not defined in ODF 1.1".
> However, I think others were reading this to mean "unknown elements
> and attributes in namespaces which are defined in ODF 1.1 are not
> foreign elements, and can occur anywhere".

I don't think we are necessarily reading this any different from you.
And there is really nothing wrong with an 1.1 implementation to reject
an ODF 1.2 file. [Personally I would not call that file corrupt since
there is the possibility of it being a newer version ODF file.]

The file in question is not an ODF 1.1 file. The sentence you are
referring to is about ODF 1.1 files and ODF 1.1 files definitely should
not contain any attributes in the ODF namespaces that are not defined
there.

I think the problem arises with an 1.1 implementation trying to read a
1.2 file. Rules in the ODF 1.1 spec do not apply to this situation.

Andreas