Subject: RE: [plcs-dex] Template: assigning_realized_resource was referencing_resource_as_realized

Attached a note on maturity rating.

Sean Barker
0117 302 8184

Title: Building Design Maturity

Showing how Design Maturity is Achieved

Introduction

    Design maturity can be viewed of the converse of the risk of change - where there is a high risk of major change a design is immature, while if there is only a slight risk of minor change then it will be regarded as mature. Change is most likely when the design fails to meet the design requirements, though in practice the design involves trade offs mean that not all criteria are met.

Completeness and Maturity

    Completeness measure the set of design and analysis elements that have to be filled in by a certain stage of a design process. A completeness check would be done by reading down a checklist of elements that must have been done.

    Maturity is the converse of the risk of change for those design elements, where risk is defined by

        Probability_of_change*Impact_of_change

Here Impact_of_change is measured primarily against the containing system of the item being assessed. That is, there is a local impact of change which means work already done must be revisited, however the primary impact must be assessed against the part of the product where it is being used. E.g. in designing a fuel pump, the effects of a design change will be locally limited to reworking existing fuel pump data, however if it changes the performance of the fuel system, then that redesign is likely to be much more costly.

This might be measured by:

Impact 4 No knock on effects

1

Minor knock-on effects

2

Significant redesign/reanalysis

3

Major redesign or reanalysis

4

Complete Redesign

5

Probability 6
Slight chance   1 1   Fully Mature  2    Mature  3   Mature  4    Maturing  5    Maturing
Small chance   2 2   Mature  4    Mature  6   Maturing  8    Maturing 10   Immature
Significant chance   3 3   Mature  6    Maturing  9    Maturing 12   Immature 15   Immature
High chance   4 4   Maturing  8  Maturing 12   Immature 16  Immature 20 Ideas Stage
Nearly Certain    5 5    Maturing 10   Immature 15   Immature 20   Ideas Stage 25 Ideas Stage

In a complex product, maturity assessments might be made on a component basis and built into an overall score by a weighted sum of components.

    In passing a process gate, both a completeness check and a maturity check are required. The completeness check must be passed before the maturity check, since data cannot be mature unless it is complete, that is, it cannot be mature until all the required data have been produced. (It is a common mistake to use a checklist as a maturity assessment.) Maturity is an engineering judgement about how confident the engineers are of a design. Failure of a maturity check starts a new design iteration, aimed at raising the design to the required level of maturity.

    The overall design process can be seen as a series of sub-processes, each aimed at raising the overall level of product maturity. Perhaps the most atypical process has but a single iteration - this is possible for only the simplest of products. Perhaps more typical is a three stage process of initial idea (immature), prototype (maturing), finished product (fully mature).

    Maturity assessments can be made at various level of formality, the most formal being those at configuration boundaries, where designs passing the maturity test are formally issued. Processes, such as the IPT process, may record in an informal or semi-formal way progress against maturity criteria. Most maturity assessments however are made informally by engineers as they do the work.

<