relax-ng-comment message

Subject: RE: [relax-ng-comment] InstanceToSchema 1.0

At 13:38 15/02/03 -0800, you wrote:
>Didier DEMANY wrote:
>> I don't intend to make another Examplotron.
>>
>> I would be more attracted by the James's idea for completing the
>> information by user's interacting.
>
>Do you mean the code will ask the user for a type at runtime? What if I want
>to make many unattended translations, with no GUI?

A GUI would allow the user to launch new passes for validating some
hypothesis about datatypes or more elaborated constructs.
User has domain knowledge and recognizes semantics in names. It is better
that the user be able to drive the process, interactively.

I think that you use better your time by editing the schema after been
generated than by adding annotations to instance(s) before generating the
schema. (Examplotron is not concerned here because, with Examplotron, the
instance *is* the schema (Ouf!, j'échappe à des ennuis :-)).

>I guess you could do this with command-line options, but that would be
>messy. If you had a GUI, you could use check boxes or some other such
>interface, such as in your editor, but some folks will prefer not to use a
>GUI.

Sure.

>Trang can use annotations for XSD translations
>(xmlns:tx="http://www.thaiopensource.com/ns/relaxng/xsd";
>tx:enableAbtractElements="true|false". Relaxer also uses annotations in
>RELAX NG or Relax Core schemas for help in determining SQL types in its JDBC
>output.

All these tools have good reasons to use annotations.

To the question : where do we need this information ?
my answer is : in the schema, not in the instance(s).

Didier