Subject: RE: [xtm-wg] Re: The Future of TopicMaps.Org

I find this an interesting suggestion. It is not contradictory to going with
OASIS, however. As I say in another message, CGM Open is an OASIS Member
Section. This demonstrates that it is possible to have an existence within
the OASIS structure *and* for one's specification to be endorsed by W3C.

Daniel

-----Original Message-----
From: scott.tsao@boeing.com [mailto:scott.tsao@boeing.com]
Sent: 23 April 2001 01:28
To: xtm-wg@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [xtm-wg] Re: The Future of TopicMaps.Org

--- In xtm-wg@y..., Steve Pepper <pepper@o...> wrote:
> Does anyone want to propose serious alternatives to OASIS?

Given the precedence that ISO's CGM deduced CGM Open's WebCGM and
then W3C's WebCGM Profile Recommendation, I would suggest that an
alternative be explored to have W3C "adopt" TM.Org's XTM which is
deduced from ISO's Topic Maps.  For instance, if one would simply
read the first two paragrahs of http://www.w3.org/Graphics/WebCGM/
and substitute CGM by Topic Maps, WebCGM by XTM, and CGM Open by
TM.Org, the objectives of this approach should become clear.

As W3C's Semantic Web Activity is being launched, I would think that
the addition of XTM would make our implementation of W3C's SW-related
standards and technologies much more pragmatic and realistic.

Scott Tsao
The Boeing Company