ubl-security message

Subject: Re: [ubl-security] Re: [spam] Re: [ubl-security] Questions regarding the XAdES Profile

Let me summarize and explain better my position.
There is a concern about the scaffolding approach it's too complex to manage/implement and possibly this can create confusion in implementors. I share this concern, maybe not at the same level always expressed by Oriol, but I understand his position and, as he is dealing with the only real implemantation, I think it's important to take advantage of this.
I consider also very interesting your approach but I have some concern, I think shared by Ken:
- a new extension is needed for every signature, even in case just multiple signatures on the whole document is the only requirement. This can be confusing.
- all metadata information about the signatures is not secured by the signatures, this means it can be changed and this cannot be detected by the receiver: a signature meant for one reason can be exchanged to any other one; any metadata can be just taken as an "hint" and need additional controls to be trusted
- excluding all extensions we are blindly excluding to sign something that can be defined in future and could require signature protection
- not signing the whole content create a requirement for the signature software to be aware of this UBL specific model and create problems especially in countries where qualified signatures are required: not advising correctly the user on what is signed can invalidate the signatures.

My proposal is to proceed in a way that I thin is in line with the UBL philosophy of solving the most common problems in the simplest way but leave open ways to deal with specific issues.

The approach I'm proposing is:
1) to start from our last draft, that allows one or more signatures on the whole content, excluding just the signatures, but not excluding cac:Signature (if present). I this this is allow to implement all legal requirements (at best of my knowledge and with no guarantee of course…). This was tested by Oriol and agreed to be easy to implement.

2) Remove the limit of having a single extension containing signatures. Does <ext:UBLExtension> allow an cbc:ID element? id yes this can be used to relate the extension signature(s) to a specific portion of the UBL document; if not present the signature(s) are not associated with any specific part or reason or this is implicit. Note that from a cryptographic point of view any signature applies to the whole UBL document, to avoid any logic that is UBL specific and to simplify signature processing. We are just talking about logical association of the signature to some part of the UBL document.

3) Recommend the current XPath but explicitly give, as an alternative to be used when special processing needs are in place, also alternative xpath that allow to cut away Extensions and/or cac:Signature elements

I think we keep a good security level and implementation simplicity while leaving the flexibility required to deal with other needs.

Andrea