Subject: Jon followup on my question

Apparently Jon is having technical trouble responding to my question, so he
sent it to me and asked me to forward it:

To: workprocess@lists.oasis-open.org
Subject: Re: Delicate subject: changing the attendance requirements

Tommie and Robin are right about this.  Article 14(j) of the OASIS
ByLaws says:

    The operation of TCs shall be governed by Robert's Rules of
    Order, as such rules may be revised from time to time, insofar
    as such rules are not inconsistent with or in conflict with
    these Bylaws, with the Articles of Incorporation of this
    corporation, or with provisions of law.

So TCs can't override the provisions of the bylaws, including the
requirements for maintaining membership in a TC.  However, I think
that there is an easy way around the problem: just hold periodic
membership maintenance phone conferences at times that are
convenient for most of the members of the TC.  The standing agenda
for these conferences can be (1) roll call, (2) brief discussion,
(3) adjournment.  That way you comply with the good-standing rules
of the process without imposing any real hardship on the members.
(Anyone who can't bother to phone in for half an hour every once
in a while shouldn't be on the TC anyway.)  You can invent real
business to conduct during the discussion period if you want; for
example, you could set aside 15 minutes for everyone to
synchronize their calendars and liaison meetings, and then you
could call the conferences "interim synchronization meetings."
But all you really have to do is take the roll.  If you held the
phone conferences at least twice as often as the face-to-face
meetings, no TC member would ever have to attend a face-to-face
meeting to maintain voting membership.

Jon