Subject: RE: [cgmo-webcgm] WebCGM and the <object> tag

At 04:10 PM 12/7/2004 +0100, Dieter Weidenbrueck wrote:
>so do you want to prohibit all the other ways to "reference" a WebCGM from
>HTML?

It is not possible for us to mandate what is in HTML content, unless we
believe that we are going to do limited validation of HTML instances.  On
the other hand, it is possible for us to foster interoperability by
specifying a single standard way to phrase such references.  That is what
WebCGM now does.

The specification in WebCGM 1.0 is clear and unambiguous, and was worked
out in consultation with leading HTML experts, as reflecting the best
standard way to combine the two standards (HTML and WebCGM).

This dialog supports my concern about interoperability.  Some CGMO vendors
support what's in WebCGM 1.0, some support another scheme.  Where's the
interoperability there?  If all supported *at least* the specification in
WebCGM 1.0, then the same content package of HTML + WebCGM could work on
different browser + viewer combinations.  Is that not a good goal?  (It's
why WebCGM 1.0 is written the way it is -- this was discussed and
deliberated 5 years ago.)

-Lofton.