Subject: Re: [chairs] Oasis document identifiers - conclusion?

This sounds like it has much higher overhead than than picking
consistent filenames and letting them work as "poor man's metadata" for
now...  I wasn't suggesting not (over)loading them with meaning; I was
suggesting that any convention will do as long as it's consistent.
E.g., the SAML TC has been using the mixed-specific-and-general order
with no long-term ill effects :-), but it would be entirely reasonable
to pick the monotonically-more-specific order too.

	Eve

Phillip H. Griffin wrote:
> I agree about not overloading file names. It would seem to me
> a better solution to let the file name be most anything a given TC
> wants it to be, and instead to let users rely on a set of tagged
> elements of a structure that could adequately describe the attributes
> of a document.
>
> Such a structure could be managed and maintained by OASIS and
> searched through a web page. A user then might retrieve all of the
> standards, all the CSs, etc. This approach would not need to rely
> on the good behavior of so many people across all of the TCs,
> which may tend to be problematic.
>
> Phil
Sun Microsystems                            cell +1 781 354 9441
Web Technologies and Standards               eve.maler @ sun.com