Subject: RE: [chairs] TC FAQ Template

On Mon, 13 Feb 2006, Hal Lockhart wrote:

> Every TC has a public comment list. Historically, something like
> half of the comments are actually questions. I suggest the FAQ
> template simply point readers to the public comment list for the TC.
>
> Hal

For some TCs, historically, something like half (or more) of the
"comments" are actually spam. [1]

Pointing readers from the TC's FAQ document (template) to the public
comment list might not be the optimal solution:

a) spam in the comment list archives may suggest to a casual
   reader that the comment form facility is broken, or otherwise
   unsiutable as a mean of getting an answer to a question

b) some TCs might feel that use of the TC public comment list
   for Q&A will "screw up our comment tracking" [2]

c) asking a question on the TC public comment list involves
   trying to use a communication channel that has been
   deliberately crippled by a change in the TC Process [3]

I say "crippled" in "c)" because at one time, it was permissible
to use the public comment list for general public discussion of the
TC work. That allowed someone to ask a question, receive an answer,
request a clarification, receive a clarified answer, and so forth
(dialogue, discussion). According to the memory of some (including
my memory) that was originally the intended purpose of of the
comment list. [4]

Rules for use of the comment list as a two-way communication
channel were changed when the TC Process was altered to read
"comment facility", with the stipulation that discussion would
not be countenanced; see now TC Process 2.8 TC Visibility"
"... a means to collect public comments" ... "The purpose of the
TC's public comment facility is to receive comments from the
public and is not for public discussion."

Use of the comment form instead of direct email opened up
a hole for spammers [5], and the TC Chairs seemed not
entirely happy with the change [6].

Irrespective of the spam problem, which may be fixed by
reverting back to email: Questions are clearly different than
comments in terms of human communication process.

Within OASIS Staff, I am now trying to create consensus around the
position that OASIS should support archived, two-way communication
(discussion, dialogue) between the TCs and the public.  Some
TCs use the *-dev lists for common questions; others feel
that the *-dev lists should be reserved for technical details
of implementation, not for garden-variety questions from
interested members of the public who think of themselves as
possible users, not as "developers".

Robin Cover

-----------

[1] spammed lists (examples):

http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/ubl-comment/200602/maillist.html
http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/legalxml-enotary-comment/200601/maillist.html

[2] Jon Bosak, "Misuse of ubl-comment list

http://www.oasis-open.org/archives/ubl-comment/200410/msg00004.html

[3] Whereas originally, according to some versions of history, the
TC comment list was *specifically* designed as a mechanism to support
two-way dialogue and discussion [4], the TC Process change was
designed to prevent discussion

[4]  http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/chairs/200309/msg00026.html
     http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/chairs/200309/msg00027.html

Jon Bosak: "Actually, the intent of the comment lists *was* to provide
a forum for public discussion.  It's a feature of the OASIS process that
I've pointed to with pride in presentations to thousands of people
over the last couple of years.  Guess I'll have to stop doing
that. -- Jon

Contrast Karl Best:
http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/chairs/200206/msg00003.html

"This is supposed to be a one-way pipe to get public comments into the TC.
Admittedly some TCs have stretched this a bit to make them discussion
lists, which I haven't fought too much against, but the original (and
true)
purpose is comments"

[5] http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/chairs/200312/msg00009.html

  Norm
 "I see. Unfortunately, you've also opened a hole into which spammers
  can throw things[1]. And there are plenty of spamming spiders out
  there smart enough to do so."

[6] Comments about the comment form

**  Lauren Wood
http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/chairs/200309/msg00011.html

** Drummond Reed
http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/chairs/200309/msg00012.html

**  Rich Thompson

http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/chairs/200309/msg00013.html

** Heather Kreger
http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/chairs/200309/msg00022.html

"What's the purpose of excluding any public discussion for TC's?
Having a public an TC private list is fairly common practice in
other organizations I've been involved in (W3C, JCP) and it was
appreciated...

** Rich Thompson
http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/chairs/200309/msg00023.html

** Drummond Reed
http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/chairs/200309/msg00024.html

"Dropping active public comment lists appears to be a step
down in openness. That's generally not a good thing. Are there
particular reasons driving the change?"

** Ram Kumar
http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/chairs/200309/msg00027.html

"I 100% agree with Jon. It *was* indeed a great tool for public
discusson. I always advised the public whoever I came across..."

**  Karl Best
http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/chairs/200309/msg00028.html

** Robert Philpott
http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/chairs/200309/msg00030.html

"I do worry a bit about not being able to ask follow-up questions
without engaging in private email exchanges that should probably
be kept public."

**  Rex Brooks
http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/chairs/200309/msg00067.html

... I have to say that I
find the current policy to have, in effect, killed the public comment
lists, to the detriment of the TCs and OASIS at large at a time when
many of us are trying our best to improve the stature of OASIS in the
arena of standards bodies. This is a shame,...

===