Subject: RE: [chairs] TC FAQ Template

Well, I guess we have been lucky in SAML and XACML. I have not seen a
lot of SPAM and we not only get possible FAQs, but also sometimes errata
received outside of the Public Review cycle.

If the SPAM problem is that bad my suggestion may not be practical. It
is important to mention why the comment policy was changed at the same
time as the IPR policy. There is a legitimate concern about an
unidentified party seeding an OASIS Standard with ideas protected by
patents. This kind of thing has actually happened in other Standards
orgs.

On XACML, we respond directly to the email address provided. Often the
question is a good candidate for an FAQ, or a hint that the document is
not clear enough. In some cases, comments have been accepted as errata.

Hal

TC.
> Admittedly some TCs have stretched this a bit to make them discussion
> lists, which I haven't fought too much against, but the original (and
> true)
> purpose is comments"
>
> [5] http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/chairs/200312/msg00009.html
>
>   Norm
>  "I see. Unfortunately, you've also opened a hole into which spammers
>   can throw things[1]. And there are plenty of spamming spiders out
>   there smart enough to do so."
>
> [6] Comments about the comment form
>
> **  Lauren Wood
> http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/chairs/200309/msg00011.html
>
> ** Drummond Reed
> http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/chairs/200309/msg00012.html
>
> **  Rich Thompson
>
> http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/chairs/200309/msg00013.html
>
> ** Heather Kreger
> http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/chairs/200309/msg00022.html
>
> "What's the purpose of excluding any public discussion for TC's?
> Having a public an TC private list is fairly common practice in
> other organizations I've been involved in (W3C, JCP) and it was
> appreciated...
>
> ** Rich Thompson
> http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/chairs/200309/msg00023.html
>
> ** Drummond Reed
> http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/chairs/200309/msg00024.html
>
> "Dropping active public comment lists appears to be a step
> down in openness. That's generally not a good thing. Are there
> particular reasons driving the change?"
>
> ** Ram Kumar
> http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/chairs/200309/msg00027.html
>
> "I 100% agree with Jon. It *was* indeed a great tool for public
> discusson. I always advised the public whoever I came across..."
>
> **  Karl Best
> http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/chairs/200309/msg00028.html
>
> ** Robert Philpott
> http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/chairs/200309/msg00030.html
>
> "I do worry a bit about not being able to ask follow-up questions
> without engaging in private email exchanges that should probably
> be kept public."
>
> **  Rex Brooks
> http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/chairs/200309/msg00067.html
>
> ... I have to say that I
> find the current policy to have, in effect, killed the public comment
> lists, to the detriment of the TCs and OASIS at large at a time when
> many of us are trying our best to improve the stature of OASIS in the
> arena of standards bodies. This is a shame,...
>
> ===

(other
> > than
> > > the mailing list?)  One great frustration with most FAQs is
> > > that they don't answer the questions people really want to ask,
> > because
> > > there is actually no clear way to A a Q.
> > >
> > > Regards,
> > > Paul Knight

OASIS