Subject: Re: [chairs] This Old House (OASIS) - Further Response to PeterBrown

On Fri, 30 Apr 2010, bill parducci wrote:

> I believe that modern forum features include the ability to interact via
> email as well as browser. This not only provides a natural archive mechanism
> that is referenced in each message, but also a reasonable search mechanism
> once you get there.

+1

It's even an Internet standards track protocol:

"The Archived-At Message Header Field"
IETF Standards Track Request for Comments #5064
http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc5064

In contexts where 'Archived-At' has been implemented, it
appears to be very popular. It allows you to compose email
messages or other documents from your laptop when you
are not connected to the Internet: from your local email
client message box, you can grab the 'Archived-At' URI
for a message and construct a URI reference for the
message that will resolve under DNS+HTTP. No need to
have access to a server in order to ascertain the message
URI in the archive.

It's quite cool (though some would say "obvious", after they become
familiar with the convention).

- Robin

Robin Cover
OASIS, Director of Information Services
Editor, Cover Pages and XML Daily Newslink
Email: robin@oasis-open.org
Staff bio: http://www.oasis-open.org/who/staff.php#cover
Cover Pages: http://xml.coverpages.org/
Newsletter: http://xml.coverpages.org/newsletterArchive.html