Subject: RE: [chairs] Re: Publication templates

This is the exact issue we are having on the DITA Adoption TC. We have started developing stylesheets for feature articles (white papers), and have requested formal specifications for both PDF and HTML formats, but OASIS has not provided any. For PDF we reverse-engineered the Word file, but that has proven quite difficult and, like you, the TC feels this is unacceptable.

Cheers,
Gershon

-----Original Message-----
From: Norman Walsh [mailto:ndw@nwalsh.com]
Sent: Monday, December 13, 2010 6:51 PM
To: Mary McRae
Cc: members@lists.oasis-open.org; chairs@lists.oasis-open.org
Subject: [chairs] Re: Publication templates

Mary McRae <mary.mcrae@oasis-open.org> writes:

> There is not. The "normative", if you will, are the Word and
> OpenOffice templates.

I object! I don't know to whom or how, but that's just not acceptable.

First of all, is it "normative" or not? What are those quotes for?

If it's normative, then I think it should be subjected to the same OASIS TC process that other normative (ha! or non-normative!) documents are subjected to.

In order to produce a specification that I choose not to author in Word or OpenOffice, are you saying that the TC Administrator is specifically and explicitly telling me that I have to reverse-engineer a Word or OpenOffice template?

                                        Be seeing you,
                                          norm

--
Norman Walsh <ndw@nwalsh.com> | What good is a can of worms if you