Subject: Re: [cti-stix] Re: [EXT] [cti-stix] RE: [iep-sig] [cti-stix] RE: STIX 2.1: Adding IEP Framework to STIX 2.1

Hi Alexandre,

It’s certainly not a requirement, and when working with dictionaries it doesn’t really change much. But if you do have bindings to properties and methods in languages like Python, if you avoid common prohibited characters (such as ‘-‘) in property names it means you can use those exact literal names in your code. Like you said it’s easy to just change the ‘-‘ to ‘_’, but in the absence of any reason to go with one or the other we felt it would be good to just make it that little bit easier on people.

I do think we need to have some strategy for dealing with external languages that don’t follow our design patterns. We have a (hopefully) good relationship with the FIRST IEP SIG, but if there are other things we want to incorporate we might not have an easy time getting them to align with our style/design norms.

John

On 5/8/17, 6:35 AM, "Alexandre Dulaunoy" <Alexandre.Dulaunoy@circl.lu> wrote:

    On 08/05/17 01:20, Bret Jordan wrote:
    > It was not a demand.  It was a question.  Sorry if it came across that way.  I did also bring this up back when IEPv1 first came out.
    >

    > The problem with using a dash for property names is, as you know, various programming languages have a really hard dealing with it.  Some will require that you map them to different names in your code.

    I still don't get the issue is there. Internal variable naming and the naming of the actual fields doesn't have to have a direct 1:1 relationship. Also, why not just use dictionaries in the first
    place? I don't see how this can realistically be an issue unless it involves some dodgy software design. Could you point me to a software or library where this was an issue?

    Thank you.

    --
    Alexandre Dulaunoy
    CIRCL - Computer Incident Response Center Luxembourg