Subject: RE: [dita] Behavior of <q> element

But the point is that a user cannot do anything about
browser behavior, so it is appropriate for that to be
standardized.

However a user is supposed to be in charge of what style
is applied to their DITA content.  A large part of the
whole thrust of SGML/XML and structured content for
decades has been the separation of format (and other
application-specific processing) from the content.
This improves reusability and makes localization
easier (because different uses and locales can apply
different stylesheets to the same content).

It is wrong for the DITA standard to be standardizing
format or any behavior beyond the basics that make
DITA DITA.

If we start talking about how to format the <q> element,
then where do we stop?  I don't see that we need to say
anything here about format in the DITA language reference.
We aren't supposed to be documenting how the toolkit
formats DITA, we're supposed to be writing a specification
for how to create DITA content.

paul