Subject: RE: [dita] Behavior of <q> element

Hi, Paul,

There are two parts to your objection. I'll respond to the second one
first.

Quotation marks have exactly the same semantic value as <q> does. They
are the conventional plain-text way of tagging a stretch of content
(with begin and end tags yet) as material that is quoted. For that
reason, this is not rendering in the usual sense, it is substitution of
a different notational variant for the same semantic function.

This provides a principled demarcation, in answer to your question
"where do we stop?".

(though we call them such), they are notational variants for typographic
conventions of bold face, italic, and underscore, with corresponding
semantics. The rejoinder here is that they are not notational variants,
but rather indeed just typographic rendering, because there are no begin
and end tags. In this, I believe that quotation marks are unique.

To emphasize the point, note that for <lq> there is no notational
variant by this criterion, only rendering as indented text--and that,
too, involves a stretch of text uniformly so rendered, with no begin and
end tags for the plain text rendition. So, just as the problem does not

The first part of your objection (which you resume in your conclusion)
has to do with the separation of content from presentation of content. I
believe that is answered above as well.

Gershon has pushed a strong form of this with his clients, a requirement
never to double-tag quoted material both with typographic quotation-mark
tagging and with DITA <q>. I advocated a weaker form, a recommendation
not to, with a caveat about consequences if you do. A yet weaker form
would be a brief description of the two choices, stating consequences of
each.

	/Bruce