Subject: Re: [docbook-apps] Font used for hyphenation-character

> Geraint North wrote:
>> I'm attempting to insert a sensible continuation character for
>> program listings.  I don't want to use "\" or "...", since there
>> is a risk that the reader of the document would misinterpret those
>> as characters to be typed.
>> So the effect I'm going for is this:
>> http://geraintnorth.com/verbatim_break_lines.png
>> In that mock-up, I have three lines of text, all of which break.
>> The arrow indicates that the line is continued.
>> The Courier typeface doesn't provide the symbols that I want, so
>> I'd ideally like to be able to insert the hyphenation character in
>> the ZapfDingbats typeface.
>
> WHich assumes all your readers have that font available?
>
> the \ character is (IMHO) far more generally used for this purpose.
> If you add a note as to its use prior to the first usage in the
> document
> you may save trouble for readers and clarify any misunderstandings.

Yes - Zapf Dingbats is one of the 14 base fonts that are guaranteed
to be available for PDF files - unless your experience suggests
otherwise?  It certainly always seems to have been fine for me.

I'd also like to indent the continuation lines to make things a bit
clearer (as I did in my example) - is that something that anyone has
attempted?

Thanks,

Geraint North
Principal Engineer