Subject: Re: [docbook-apps] TOC placement in pdf

Actually, there's a param for that. If you insert an empty <toc/> element in your content, and set this param:

process.empty.toc.element=1

and set generate.toc to blank (to turn off the default toc), then the stylesheet will generate a toc where that <toc/> element is located. Apparently this param came after the last edition of my book so it isn't covered there, but it is included in the fo parameter reference doc online.

Unfortunately, the content model of article does not allow a toc element after normal content, even though the stylesheet doesn't care. So you either have to tolerate a validation error, or insert the empty toc element just before processing.

Perhaps a cleaner customization would be to insert a processing instruction instead of an empty toc element so it validates, and write some XSL to process that PI using the XSL code borrowed and customized from the template that starts with

<xsl:template match="chapter/toc | appendix/toc | preface/toc | article/toc">

from fo/toc.xsl. Basically you want to call the template named 'component.toc' but with the right context. I haven't tried this, but it should work.

Bob