Subject: Re: [docbook-tc] annotation proposal

/ "Bob Stayton" <bobs@sagehill.net> was heard to say:
|> 7. More generally, where are annotations allowed?
|
| I'll go out on a limb here and say anywhere that an
| indexterm is allowed.  I think we will have to look more carefully
| at the implications, if people agree that this is a useful
| design.

Index terms have to be allowed almost everywhere because their
location is significant. If we explicitly make the location of
annotations irrelevant, why do we need to allow them in so many
locations?

I'll play devil's advocate and suggest the other extreme: only allow
them in info elements. That's probably too restrictive, but how about
making them block elements so that we at least don't have to worry
about them appearing inside titles and other inlines.

Norman Walsh <ndw@nwalsh.com>      | Everything should be made as
http://www.oasis-open.org/docbook/ | simple as possible, but no simpler.
Chair, DocBook Technical Committee |