Subject: Summary of minutes regarding assembly

To facilitate bringing closure to the DocBook assembly proposal, I thought it would be
useful to put together a history of its development.  Below are excerpts from the
meeting minutes regarding our discussions and decisions on the topic of modular
DocBook and assembly.  I was surprised to discover that we have been at this for two
and a half years!

Bob

Summary of DocBook TC meeting minutes regarding DocBook assembly.

DocBook Technical Committee Meeting Minutes: 21 January 2009
10. Using a map for modular DocBook.

Scott described an initial proposal that several
participants developed.   The Committee asked
several questions and agreed to further discussions.

ACTION: Scott to write up a modular DocBook proposal for the TC
to discuss.

DocBook Technical Committee Meeting Minutes: 15 February 2009
Meeting cancelled.

DocBook Technical Committee Meeting Minutes: 25 March 2009
10. Using a map for modular DocBook (Dick and Jim).

Scott sent out the discussion group's proposal [2].

[2] http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/docbook-tc/200903/msg00004.html

It proposes a new <assembly> element to map DocBook
elements into a publication. It would use a <toc>
element to define order and hierarchy, a <resources>
element to declare potential resources to be used,
and a <relationships> element to define relationships
between resources.  The assembly is similar to
IMF manifest for SCORM, making it useful for
eLearning applications.

Most TC comments described the proposal in favorable terms.

Discussion of what scheme to use for relationships:
existing comprehensive standard such as RDF, or
simpler new scheme?  Different groups need more
than others.  Suggested shipping it with a simple
scheme, with provisions and instructions for
binding in a more comprehensive system.

ACTION: Larry to work up an complete assembly example
with basic relationships.

DocBook Technical Committee Meeting Minutes: 15 April 2009
10. Using a map for modular DocBook.

Continued.

DocBook Technical Committee Meeting Minutes: 20 May 2009
  f. Larry to work up an complete assembly example
     with basic relationships.
     COMPLETED

8. Using a map for modular DocBook.

Larry posted something just a couple of hours ago.[2]

[2] http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/docbook-tc/200905/msg00006.html

Larry: Biggest concern is that I couldn't actually use the <toc>
element to do the structure of a help system.

Norm: What would need to be change?

Larry: I need nested <tocentry> elements. This is to describe the
structure of a help system which has a hierarchy but no real table of
contents.

... The idea of a hierarchy in document assembly is quite common, but
it doesn't always map to a table of contents. Perhaps it would be
appropriate to introduce a generic hierarchy mechanism in the assembly
grammar.

... This would allow references to be nested more freely than in a
<toc>. I'm also abusing @rendras.

Norm: I think inventing a new element is fine. I'm not sure about
@renderas.

Larry: I think it does make sense to allow <toc> in the assembly
grammar.

Nancy: We created <toc> with a book in mind, so it's not surprising
that it doesn't have the exactly correct semantics.

Scott: Would we need to extend <tocentry> for other things.

Larry: I wasn't able to figure out how to point to content with a tocdiv.

Norm: Let's try to push this forward in email if we can, otherwise
revisit next month.

Gershon: I got comments at CMS/DITA saying this would be really
valuable. I was asked if we could use the same names as DITA maps.

Nancy: That's difficult because the DITA names are all referential to
the DITA topic element. My guess is that people who are using DocBook
are using section or some such instead. So, we would be better off
basing it on section. OTOH, there's nothing to keep us thinking about
this.

Scott: We're trying to extend beyond DITA maps.

Gershon: Many people said they're investigating DITA for maps.

Norm: I think we should figure out how to do maps for DocBook content.
After we've worked out the semantics, we should consider if there are
names that would make sense to keep the same.

DocBook Technical Committee Meeting Minutes: 17 June 2009
Meeting cancelled.

DocBook Technical Committee Meeting Minutes: 15 July 2009
9. Using a map for modular DocBook.

Discussion of Larry's second sample of DocBook assembly.[2]

[2] http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/docbook-tc/200907/msg00003.html

Norm raised concerns about the renderas attribute as well
as importing foreign content such as DITA or other schemas.
That implies some transformation process, and will the
committee specify that?

Gershon: DITA uses specializations of topicref
in the bookmap schema to indicate how a topic is to be
represented. He also pointed out that in DITA maps,
topicref can only refer to a topic element.
In DocBook assembly, any DocBook element can be
included, and the renderas attribute allows the
author to indicate how it would be represented.

Larry: for foreign content, perhaps have a section in
the assembly that identifies a stylesheet to be used
for transforming content during the assembly.

Bob: we should separate including DocBook content (easy)
from including foreign content (harder).

Norm: transformations are defined by the implementation.
We may provide some reference implementations.

Larry: assembling a help system requires different
processing from assembling a book.

Norm: put an "outputtype" attribute on the structure element
as a whole to indicate how it should be processed overall,
and use renderas at the element level to map one element
to another.

Bob: One assembly mode is to map all referenced elements
into a valid DocBook book, so nested topics would
become sections, for example.  Another assembly mode
creates a structured TOC and processes each reference
separately (similar to the DocBook Website customization),
without assembling it into a book first.

Larry: may use an attribute on elements to indicate
chunking level.

ACTION: Larry to create a new assembly example for next meeting.

DocBook Technical Committee Meeting Minutes: 19 August 2009

  f. Larry to create a new assembly example for next meeting.
     COMPLETED

9. Using a map for modular DocBook.

Larry presented the new features of the latest sample for
assembling modular content [3].

[3] http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/docbook-tc/200908/msg00002.html

He uses type attributes (text) rather than class (enumerated)
because it needs to be application specific.

The renderas attribute should default to "auto", so that it
is used only to change the element from its original name.

The grammartransforms element was added, e.g. for converting DITA
input to DocBook before assembly.

A navtitle element was added to module for a navigational title
that is used when the resource in assembled.

Norm suggested that the output attributes become elements instead.
Larry will add those.

Bob asked if resource elements nest.  The answer is no, they are
a flat list, and all nested structure comes in the structure
element whose module elements reference resource elements.

Larry asked if an info element should be added to module.
Some discussion of how module and resource info information
should be merged.  No big interest in including info in
module just yet.

Bob asked how introductory blocks of text that appear between
a chapter title and the first section would be handled.
Larry suggested putting it in a section element, and
the module referencing that resource would specify
attributes contentonly="yes" and omittitle="yes".

Scott suggested adding a description attribute to each resource.
These could be used to generate a manifest with descriptions,
for example.

ACTION: Larry to send out new sample and RelaxNG schema with
the latest changes.

Bob suggested that members start testing the assembly
mechanism so any problems that arise can be addressed.

DocBook Technical Committee Meeting Minutes: 16 September 2009
  d. Larry to send out new assembly sample and RelaxNG schema with
     the latest changes.
     COMPLETED

9. Using a map for modular DocBook.

Extensive discussion of Sample 4 prepared by Larry

[2] http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/docbook-tc/200909/msg00000.html

Larry added description attributes, and converted output attributes
to output elements to make them more flexible.  The filterin
and filterout attributes were added for profiling.  The renderas
attribute was added to output elements as well, so that one module
could be rendered differently for different outputs.
The contentonly attribute was added to allow
selecting an element's children minus its wrapper.
The omittitles attribute could be used to skip the
title of an imported element.

Norm wondered if a more general transform mechanism would
be needed for things like contentonly and omittitles.
Larry said they considered a subset of XPath, but didn't
really need it and it would add considerable complexity
to the processing.

Norm questioned how the renderas attribute value was
inherited by following-sibling modules, and wondered if
those should each have their own attribute.  Larry said
that renderas="auto" was the default, but its meaning
needs clear definition.  A value of "auto" means that
if the root element of the resource is valid at the
location of the module, then use that element name.
Otherwise, the value of the preceding sibling module with
a renderas attribute would apply.  Not clear yet
what happens if no preceding sibling renderas.

Gershon questioned the use of info element.

Gershon wondered if @type can have more than one value.
Larry clarified the difference between @type and @outputformat.
@type has user-defined values.

Gershon asked why filterin and filterout were mutually
exclusive.  The filterin sets a profile condition for
inclusion, and filterout sets one for exclusion.
Bob gave an example of where both could be present if
different profiling attributes were used.  We resolved
to allow both elements.

Gershon asked if @outputformat could be inherited from
ancestor elements.  Larry said we could add a @defaultoutputformat
to structure to set the default for all of its descendants,
which could be overridden for individual descendants.
Larry pointed out that the attribute is already multi-valued.

Gershon pointed out that the behavior of navtitle is different
from the same element in DITA, which could create confusion
for users of both.  Norm suggested using titleabbrev instead
of navtitle to avoid the confusion.

Gerson asked if outputfile could be used to suppress chunking
of an element.  Larry suggested a @chunk attribute whose value
could be "no" to turn off chunking of an element that would
otherwise be chunked, a value of "yes" to chunk an element
that would not otherwise be chunked, or "auto" (the default)
which means to follow the rules of the chunker.

Gershon asked about the empty index element as a child of module,
when it could be at the top level as its own element.  Bob
suggested that <index/> be made a child of a resource element
and pointed to by an empty module with a resourceref attribute.
But no other resource element has content.  Bob also pointed
out that although indexes are generated, they sometimes have
a type (selected indexterms instead of all terms), and
sometimes has preamble content.  We will investigate
indexes and TOCs some more.

ACTION: Bob to develop a stylesheet to transform an assembly
into a document.

ACTION: Gershon to develop a reltable example.

ACTION: Larry to revise the same and schema based on comments.

DocBook Technical Committee Meeting Minutes: 21 October 2009
  e. Bob to develop a stylesheet to transform an assembly
     into a document.
     COMPLETED
     See http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/docbook-tc/200910/msg00001.html

  f. Larry to revise the assembly sample and schema based on comments.
     COMPLETED

  g. Gershon to develop a reltable example.
     CONTINUED

9.  Modular DocBook.

Larry's assembly sample 5:

http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/docbook-tc/200910/msg00001.html

Larry: I've been responding to comments from people. I've added a
default output format to the structure element that would apply to its
children. I won't repeat everything that we discussed at the last
telcon.

Larry: When I added the default output format to structure, I needed
some way to say "don't render this" and I may have overloaded
renderas. On line 259 of the file, I have an output statement with two
output formats and a renderas of "norender".

[[ Some discussion of the example in the assembly file. ]]

Some sentiment that using renderas="norender" is abuse of the renderas
attribute and should be changed.

Although not rendering in some formats is a kind of filtering, it
seems not to be one of the normal effectivity attribute so filtering
doesn't apply? Not complete agreement.

Norm ponders the use of more complex XPath evaluation to simplify
authoring.

Consensus seems to come back to adding a new attribute to the output
element that indicates that the content should be suppressed.

Possible names: omitoutput, discard, suppress

Straw poll, vote for up to two:

omitoutput :
discard    : 2
suppress   : 3

Is there anyone who cannot live with "suppress"?

Proposal: Add a suppress attribute to output, if suppress=true (or 1) then
the output is not rendered.

Accepted.

(In addition, Norm suggests removing "output" from the attribute names
on the <output> element.)

Additional discussion about the use of grammer= on line 317. Conclusion:
change grammer= on that line to transform= and add it to the transforms
section at the bottom (renamed from grammartransforms):

  <module resourceref="help.tutorial">
    <output outputformat="helpsystem" outputfile="xidi-help.tutorial"
            grammar="tutorial"/>
  </module>
  <grammartransforms xml:base="file:///opt/xidi/util/grammartransforms">
    <transform grammar="dita" fileref="dita2docbook.xsl"/>
    <transform grammar="tutorial" fileref="docbook2tutorial.xsl"/>
  </grammartransforms>

Becomes:

  <module resourceref="help.tutorial">
    <output outputformat="helpsystem" outputfile="xidi-help.tutorial"
            name="tutorial"/>
  </module>
  <transforms xml:base="file:///opt/xidi/util/transforms">
    <transform grammar="dita" fileref="dita2docbook.xsl"/>
    <transform name="tutorial" fileref="docbook2tutorial.xsl"/>
  </transforms>

Bob encourages everyone to try out the transform stylesheet that he
supplied which generates an assembly file for an existing document.

Jirka suggests that perhaps the assembly elements should be in a
different namespace.

Norm agrees that its worth considering but worries about the fact that
authors would have to switch back and forth between the assembly
namespace and the docbook namespace for content.

Bob wonders if this is really necessary? It would definitely
complicate things.

Jirka isn't sure, just thinks it's worth considering.

Larry raises questions about how much simplicity and defaulting should
be allowed. We want to make sure that we're optimizing for what we're
trying to do. Short term optimization may not be valuable in the long
run.

DocBook Technical Committee Meeting Minutes: 18 November 2009

10. DocBook assembly schema.

No further changes have been suggested. Members said they
would try out the prototype stylesheets that Bob provided
that convert between a DocBook document and an assembly
with topics.

ACTION: Larry will publish an updated schema with last month's
changes.

Norm suggested that we make available both full and simplified
versions.  He is concerned that the details of the full
version will overwhelm those getting started who need
just basic assembly.  It may be separate schemas, or
just documentation and examples.

ACTION: Norm to prepare a proposal for full and simplified
assembly versions.

Bob proposed adding a relatedlink element to DocBook 5. [2]

[2] http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/docbook-tc/200911/msg00003.html

This could complement related links managed at the
assembly level.  Members were generally favorable, but
no action was taken yet.

Bob suggested organizing a separate discussion of
linking in modular DocBook, and several members
expressed interest.

ACTION: Bob to organize a meeting to discuss linking
in modular DocBook.

DocBook Technical Committee Meeting Minutes: 16 December 2009
  b. Larry to publish assembly schema with last month's changes.
     COMPLETED

  c. Norm to prepare proposal for full and simplified assembly
     versions.
     COMPLETED

  d.  Bob to organize a meeting to discuss linking in modular DocBook.
     COMPLETED

9.  Linking in modular DocBook.

See Bob's minutes from yesterday.[2]

[2] http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/docbook-tc/200912/msg00021.html

Inline relatedlinks and
relationships from assemblies are two different ways of expressing the
same thing. Documentation and implementation stratgies TBD.

11.  DocBook assembly schema.

Norm's documentation attempts: [3]

[3]  http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/docbook-tc/200911/msg00017.html

Larry's assembly proposal 6: [4]

[4] http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/docbook-tc/200912/msg00019.html

Larry's summary:

 - Added the 'suppress' attribute to output
 - Added chunking control
 - Added name attribute to transform element
 - Added transform attribute to the output element
 - Added a transform attribute and left the grammar attribute there
 - Removed the word output from all of the attribute names on the output element

Norm attempts to summarize his document.

Norm proposes that the output of an assembly is a single document.

Larry pushes back, suggesting that the output is a document or
collection of documents.

Norm and Larry clearly don't agree completely on the high-level
processing expectations. While Norm wants the assembly to be
output-agnostic, Larry has quite different processing expectations
depending on what sort of output is needed.

ACTION: Larry to write up his view of the processing expectations of a
structure element and how it has to work to satisfy his needs.

DocBook Technical Committee Meeting Minutes: 20 January 2010
  c.  Larry to write up his view of the processing expectations of a
      structure element and how it has to work to satisfy his needs.
      COMPLETED

10.  DocBook assembly schema.

Still need to resolve syntax for related links in assembly.

ACTION: Bob to restart discussion on the TC mailing list.

Scott raised the issue of adding info to module and other
assembly elements to support metadata.  Norm had
added info in order to hold a title that would override
the title in the resource it pointed to. Bob objected
to using info for override content as well as
metadata for assembly elements.  It was agreed that
they need to be differentiated.

ACTION: Bob to initiate discussion of info on TC list.

DocBook Technical Committee Meeting Minutes: 17 February 2010
  d.  Bob to restart assembly related links discussion.
      COMPLETED.

  e.  Bob to initiate discussion of assembly info element.
      COMPLETED.

9.  Metadata in assemblies
     See Bob's email[2].

[2] http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/docbook-tc/201002/msg00002.html

The group agreed that metadata for assembly elements should be
separated from metadata that should override the content
of a resource. Gershon provided some perspective on the
DITA approach.  We agreed that info should be used for metadata
for assembly elements, so that its usage agrees with its usage
in general DocBook (applies to its parent element).
Could not agree on an element name for the other: info in
a different namespace, info-override, info-resource. Will
continue the discussion on the mailing list.

ACTION: Bob to post element naming question to TC list.

10.  Linking in modular DocBook.
     See Bob's email and followups.[3]

[3] http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/docbook-tc/201002/msg00000.html

A relationship/instance element references a resource
element ID.  An inline relatedlink element references a
content ID.  These are to be merged, filtered, sorted,
and output at the end of each topic.  We agreed to
add a "type" attribute to relatedlink to enable
categorization similar to the relationship/association
element.

ACTION: Bob to create a sample for review.

DocBook Technical Committee Meeting Minutes: 17 March 2010
Meeting cancelled.

DocBook Technical Committee Meeting Minutes: 21 April 2010
  a.  Bob to develop a reltable example.
      COMPLETED and just sent out.

  e.  Bob to post assembly metadata element naming question to TC list.
      COMPLETED

  f.  Bob to create sample of linking in modular doc.
      COMPLETED by Norm

10.  Metadata in assemblies
     See Bob's email[2].

[2] http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/docbook-tc/201002/msg00002.html

After some discussion of Bob's proposal, it was accepted
for the assembly beta version.  We may change the
element name "override" before submission to OASIS.
Here are the changes.

a. Permit <info> on any element in an assembly.

b.  Define the content of info like the DocBook 5 info element.

c.  An info element in <structure> can contribute to the output, just like the info
element on the root element of a document.

d. An info element in any other assembly element generally does not contribute to the
output, although I'm sure there are cases where it could.

e.  Permit <override> only on <module>.

f.  Define the content of <override> to be only those elements that make sense to be
overridden.  Not sure what that list is, though.

g. Any element in <override> is merged with the content that the module points to, and
overrides it if the corresponding element exists in the resource.

11.  Linking in modular DocBook.
     See Bob's email and followups.[3]

[3] http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/docbook-tc/201002/msg00000.html

Norm posted a complete example [4].

[4] http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/docbook-tc/201003/msg00003.html

Bob reviewed it and said it was what he expected to happen
when processing such related links.

ACTION: Bob to republish the topic schema for inclusion in 5.1.

ACTION: Bob's reltable example to be discussed at the next
meeting, but we will omit it in the first 5.1 beta.

DocBook Technical Committee Meeting Minutes: 19 May 2010

11.  Linking in modular DocBook.

This item was regarding reltable, which is not currently slated
to be included in 5.1.  We will cover this at the next meeting.

Norm wants to get out a 5.1 Beta that includes topic and
assembly very soon.

We discussed the issue of where the topic element could appear.
Larry suggested only where a chapter could appear (in book and part),
and Bob suggested adding anywhere a section could appear,
except disallowing topic and section to be siblings.
The committee favored the latter, so we will include
a looser model in the 5.1 beta.

DocBook Technical Committee Meeting Minutes: 23 June 2010

8.  Reltables in modular DocBook.

This will held until after DocBook 5.1 beta is released.
Larry suggests the current assembly elements are more
powerful than a table model for related links.

ACTION: Larry to render the current reltable example from
Bob and Norm with the current assembly elements for
comparison.

DocBook Technical Committee Meeting Minutes: 21 July 2010
  c.  Larry to render the current reltable example from
      Bob and Norm with the current assembly elements for
      comparison.
      CONTINUED

8.  Reltables in modular DocBook.

Continued.

10.  Release of DocBook 5.1 beta.

Norm released 5.1b1 on docbook.org.
The assembly.dtd is not yet available.
Scott suggested that some tools are needed for processing.
Norm's questions about assembly were addressed.

a. renderas attribute on module and its output element?
Module is simpler if you don't need multiple outputs.
If conflict, then output element wins.

b.  Make renderas a qname?  Yes, so namespaces can be used.

c.  structure element should have renderas?  Yes.

d.  What is structure type attribute for?
Tells the production system how to assemble.
Norm wants more explanation for documenting it.

e. Use of description attribute on resource?
Norm and Gershon suggest it should be an element to support
complete localization, including Ruby.
Larry says it is for generating a manifest.  Gershon
suggested a different attribute name, then.

ACTION: Norm to release 5.1b2 and announce it more widely.

ACTION: Larry to create a sample of the use of @type.

DocBook Technical Committee Meeting Minutes: 18 August 2010
  b.  Larry to render the current reltable example from
      Bob and Norm with the current assembly elements for
      comparison.
      CONTINUED

  d.  Norm to release DocBook 5.1b2 and announce it more widely.
      COMPLETED

  e.  Larry to create a sample of @type in an assembly.
      CONTINUED

8.  Reltables in modular DocBook.

Continued.

DocBook Technical Committee Meeting Minutes: 22 September 2010
  b.  Larry to render the current reltable example from
      Bob and Norm with the current assembly elements for
      comparison.

Larry couldn't find the example.

ACTION: Nancy to send some example reltables to the tc-list.

Larry's action continued. Larry and Nancy will work together on the
conversion.

  c.  Larry to create a sample of @type in an assembly.
      COMPLETED

8.  Reltables in modular DocBook.

Continued.

DocBook Technical Committee Meeting Minutes: 20 October 2010
  b.  Larry and Nancy to render the current reltable example from
      Bob and Norm with the current assembly elements for
      comparison.
      COMPLETED

  c.  Nancy to send some example reltables to the tc-list.
      COMPLETED

8.  Reltables in modular DocBook.

Larry posted examples shortly before the meeting, so the
group decided to continue this item to next meeting
so we could review the examples.

10.  Discussion of Larry's help example in assembly and @type proposal. [3]

[3] http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/docbook-tc/201009/msg00007.html

Continue this item, urging members to review Larry's example
before the next meeting.

DocBook Technical Committee Meeting Minutes: 17 November 2010
  b.  Larry and Nancy to render the current reltable example from
      Bob and Norm with the current assembly elements for
      comparison.
      COMPLETED

  c.  Nancy to send some example reltables to the tc-list.
      COMPLETED

8.  Reltables in modular DocBook. [2]

[2] http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/docbook-tc/201011/msg00008.html

Much discussion of Larry's reltable examples,
and reltables in general. Norm asked for explanations,
and Larry and Nancy provided them.
Norm finds reltables difficult to understand.
Larry says they have implicit relationships.
Bob mentioned that DITA has strongly typed topics
for the columns, but DocBook topics do not.
Nancy stated the goal: creating linking within
an assembly.  Larry found that doing the
samples showed some features that would be
useful, like directionality of links.

ACTION: Larry to use his experience from the
samples to create a fresh proposal for linking
within assembly.

10.  Discussion of Larry's help example in assembly and @type proposal. [3]

[3] http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/docbook-tc/201009/msg00007.html

Larry provided answers to questions.
Members could see the need to add a type attribute
to the assembly structure element.

DocBook Technical Committee Meeting Minutes: 15 December 2010
  e.  Larry to create a fresh proposal for linking within assembly.
  COMPLETED

8.  Linking in assembly.

Postponed until next meeting to digest Larry's latest proposal. [4]

[4] http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/docbook-tc/201012/msg00007.html

10.  Discussion of Larry's help example in assembly and @type proposal. [3]

[3] http://docbook.org/docs/transclusion/

Larry provided answers to questions.
Members could see the need to add a type attribute
to the assembly structure element.

DocBook Technical Committee Meeting Minutes: 19 January 2011
  e.  Larry to create a fresh proposal for linking within assembly.
  COMPLETED

6.  Linking in assembly.

Please see Larry's latest proposal. [2]

[2] http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/docbook-tc/201012/msg00007.html

Larry summarized the proposal.
The basic relationship is bidirectional.
Directional relationships can be implemented using linking="targetonly"
or linking="sourceonly".
He described hierarchical and navigational path relationships too.
The list relationship generated much discussion.

ACTION: Larry to clarify list relationship in the proposal.

8.  Decision about Larry's help example in assembly and @type proposal.

Postponed.  Larry and Bob to track down the latest info and
repost it.

DocBook Technical Committee Meeting Minutes: 23 February 2011
Meeting cancelled.

DocBook Technical Committee Meeting Minutes: 16 March 2011
  c.  Larry to clarify list relationship in the assembly linking proposal.
      COMPLETED

6.  Linking in assembly.

Please see Larry's previous proposal. [2]

[2] http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/docbook-tc/201012/msg00007.html

Larry's revised proposal is here:
http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/docbook-tc/201103/msg00005.html

Some discussion of the issues raised by Larry at the end of that document.

Norm observes that he would have used <tocentry linkend="..."/>
instead of nested <xref> elements. Some question about whether that's
reasonable markup.

Even with the TOC markup, you still need an <instance> element because
you need somewhere to hang the additional semantic that this is where
the list goes (@linking=).

Norm: Since using TOC markup didn't reduce the number of elements we
need, I'm not sure it's worth the effort.

Norm asks if we can change association to title. Larry observes that
it's functioning as a title here, but it isn't semantically the same
as a title. If you're generating a semantic map, you use the
association to measure the distance between concepts.

Norm: I think we should abandon the TOC markup.

Gershon: Me too.

Larry: Ok.

8.  Decision about Larry's help example in assembly and @type
proposal.

Norm: I don't recall why I objected, but I'm prepared to withdraw the
objection.

No other comments heard.

Norm: Speaking more generally, do we have a sense of how well the
Addembly Reference section in the documentation reflects reality?

Larry: I think it may need some minor changes and extensions. I think
adding something about the help system would be helpful.

ACTION: Larry to review the DocBook 5.1 schema to see if it reflects
his notion of the current state of play.

DocBook Technical Committee Meeting Minutes: 20 April 2011
  a.  Larry to review the DocBook 5.1 schema to see if it reflects
      his notion of the current state of play for assembly.
      CONTINUED

8.  DocBook assembly.

Bob: What steps are needed to complete this work?

Larry: need to finalize the schema. He needed the latest
version from SourceForge, but could not build assembly
from SVN.  He will work with Norm to get the latest,
and the compare it to the minutes to make sure it
represents all the changes that have been discussed.
He will raise any issues that come up in email.

Question was asked about XSL support for processing
assembly.

ACTION: Bob to update his XSL stylesheet for building a
DocBook document from an assembly.

Larry suggested later also implementing an XSL to
generate DocBook website from an assembly.

Norm has written a chapter in the 5.1 TDG [2]
that needs reviewing for the latest updates.

[2] http://docbook.org/tdg51/en/html/ch06.html

Dick was wondering if assembly could be generalized
beyond DocBook for use by other schemas.  Larry
said some DocBook specific elements would need
to be modified.

When the schema and stylesheets are available, Scott said
he could do some experimental work with converting content.

DocBook Technical Committee Meeting Minutes: 25 May 2011
Meeting cancelled.

DocBook Technical Committee Meeting Minutes: 15 June 2011
  a.  Larry to review the DocBook 5.1 schema to see if it reflects
      his notion of the current state of play for assembly.
      COMPLETED

  e.  Bob to update his XSL stylesheet for building a
      DocBook document from an assembly.
      CONTINUED

8.  DocBook assembly.

Larry and Norm discussed and settled the last issues on
the mailing list.  [1]

[1] http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/docbook-tc/201105/msg00005.html

ACTION: Norm to post DocBook 5.1 beta to docbook.org with
the latest changes.

Bob Stayton
Sagehill Enterprises
bobs@sagehill.net