Subject: Re: We will need a volunteer to fix the resolution

On 21.6.2012 15:16, Chet Ensign wrote:

> Unfortunately, our policy doesn't allow anyone other than authorized
> staff to have direct write access to OASIS systems. (I am copying
> Scott McGrath so that he will be aware of the request.) I'm sure you
> can understand that this is standard practice in most private
> businesses.

Hi,

I'm sorry but I don't understand. I was talking about having write
access to one specific directory holding only DocBook related resources.
I have write access to dozen of directories visible at www.w3.org and it
don't pose any security or other problems. If you don't trust chairs of
your TC you might directly close your business.

> However, there is no need for direct write permission. As part of
> approving any OASIS work product and either publishing it as a
> Committee Draft, releasing it for public review, or approving it as a
> final deliverable, TC Administration publishes the work to the
> appropriate server locations. You submit the appropriate ticket to us
> (see http://www.oasis-open.org/resources/tc-admin-requests for the
> complete set) and we work with you to prepare the final work package
> and load it to the servers - and of course announce the event to TC
> members and OASIS and the public.
>
> That is the step that seems to have been missed when 5.0 was approved
> but I have put a great deal more structure around the procedures and
> processes this past year. Using the tickets to create JIRA work
> tickets for TC Admin ensures that nothing gets lost and no steps get
> skipped.

Seems like a lot of bureaucracy for uploading bunch of schema files.
This process just sucks. If you want up-to-date resources on your site
it must be easy for TC to update those files. Standard development
organizations like OASIS should support development of standards, not
make it harder, especially given that most of DocBook TC members are
volunteers making DocBook related work in their spare time.

Just my 2 cents.

Have a nice day,

				Jirka