Subject: Re: DOCBOOK: Including OS Version information on DocBook elements

Jeroen Ruigrok/Asmodai writes:
 > Did I sound confused enough? ;)

  Wow!  ;-)

 > How will we make sure the version get their relevant info to make those
 > decisions about what to include or not?
 >
 > Nik's solution involved a Makefile system with scripts.  With the above
 > I reckon you want to integrate it into DSSSL or relevant tools?

  I don't think my suggestion had anything at all to do with tools.
Whether someone wants to do the DSSSL/XSL footwork to implement this
sort of versioning or use a Python script is entirely up to them.  The
notion of "current version" and version ranges just seems much more
general than only interesting for operating systems.  If I build a
large piece of software (say, a programming language), I might want to
be able to maintain the documentation for multiple versions.  Some
text may apply to version <= X, and other text to version > X, but
other changes are simply to fix typos or other errors, and are not
version specific in any way.  If I can then regenerate the formatted
documentation for, say, the last three versions, that would certainly
be useful for users who aren't upgrading for whatever reason.

  -Fred

--
Fred L. Drake, Jr.	  <fdrake at acm.org>