Subject: Re: DOCBOOK: Chapter and sect1 both creates H2 html tag

On Mon, Feb 03, 2003 at 09:16:10AM -0600, Jeff Biss wrote:
> Xyvind,
>
> I'm sure someone far more knowledgable will also respond but here's my
> input.
>
> 1. HTML is very limited in the elements that it provides so your large
> selection of elements in XML  source files must be mapped to the fewer
> selection of elements in HTML.
>
> 2 and 3. To change how your XML is converted requires you to alter the
> stylesheet you use to produce the output you want. You are still limited
> by HTML's small element selection.

I had a discussion with Norm about this once.  What Jeff
said is true about the limited number of HTML elements.
Add <part> with its title to the list of divisions too.

Fortunately, if you are willing to use CSS, then you can
style the headings as you like.  Take a look at the
HTML output, and you will see that each title is
wrapped in HTML <div> elements with class names:

        <h2 class="title">
           <a name="Catalogs"></a>Chapter| 3.| XML catalogs
        </h2>

So CSS specifications like this would work:

div.chapter div.titlepage div div h2 {
    font-size: 180%;
}
div.sect1 div.titlepage div div h2 {
    font-size: 140%;
}

I know, there seem to be too many nested <div> elements.
That's an artifact of the titlepage machinery, which
permits multiple title pages (recto and verso) along
with separator templates.

                                            email: bobs@sco.com