Subject: Re: DOCBOOK: Am I using DocBook appropriately?

Jeff Biss wrote:

> As I read the DocBook the numbered sections COULD be numbered but don't
> have to be. If they are numbered then an obvious hierarchy is generated.
> If they are not numbered then the converted output would look like
> unnumbered sections.

Can you list the quotes? TIA.

> Correct. But as I see it, selecting the correct element at the time of
> writing will provide what you require at output. If you select numbered
> sections at the start you can produce the output you need, either
> numbered or unnumbered. If you use unnumbered at the start then you have
> only the unnumbered output option, as set by your stylesheet.

Is it against the docbook spec if my XSLTs do count(ancestor::section)
to generate the same output as for sect[n]?

I think we are misunderstanding each other in some fundamental way.

"Numbering" eg

   Section 1
     Section 1.1
   Section 2

can easily be done from

   section
     section
   section

or from

   sect1
     sect2
   sect1

AFAICS. How exactly the sections get numbered should be specified in the
transformation (ag via option params), not in the DocBook source IMHO.

>>> Forget about trends and current styles useage, use numbered sections
>>> where they help your reader.
>>
>> But isn't that clearly the job of the transformer?
>>
>> eg in XSLT, count(ancestor::section) will return the level, so the
>> output for
>>   <section>
>>     <section>
>> and
>>   <sect1>
>>     <sect2>
>> could be the same.
>
> It could be the same. Again, as I read it though,

Please list what you quote. TIA.

> I could very well be wrong, but deciding which element to use depends
> more on the potential output than anything else.

While marking up a document, I should not think about the output, and I
should not have to. Absolutely.

> I suppose one could use an ID with unnumbered sections to produce
> numbering when the file is converted by a strylesheet.

I don't see why this would be necessary.

> This looks like
> it would be just as frustrating as using numbered sections though.

I don't see any difficulty with finding out what level a section is, eg
in XSLT.

Perhaps I'm missing something ...

Tobi

--