Subject: Re: [docbook] Simpified DocBook

George Cristian Bina wrote:

> element-attribute pair then we have an error. Note that the
> element-attribute pair can be defined also with "wildcard" nameclases
> like anyName or nsName.

And just to extend excellent George's explanation in DocBook there are
two following patterns defined:

   db._any.attribute =
      attribute * { text }

   db._any =
      element * - (db:* | html:*) { (db._any.attribute | text | db._any)* }

This means that for all elements except for elements in DocBook (db:)
and HTML (html:) namespaces there is a pattern matching any attribute on
such elements.

If you are defining new elements in other namespace then DocBook and
HTML (including no namespace) you have to change definition of db._any
to exclude your newly added namespace like:

   db._any =
      element * - (db:* | html:* | myNewNs:*) { (db._any.attribute |
text | db._any)* }

I have been bitten by this several times when I have prepared SVG and
MathML customizations for DocBook 5 (see
http://www.docbook.org/docs/howto/#faq-customization-mathml).

Jirka

Be in, register for XML Prague 2007 today! http://www.xmlprague.cz

OpenPGP digital signature