Subject: Why does <menuchoice> support multiple <guimenuitem> elements?

I have a question about the following:

GUIMenuItem identifies a terminal selection from a menu in a graphical user interface. In
particular, this is distinct from a menu (GUIMenu) and a submenu (GUISubmenu). The distinction
between a GUIMenuItem and a GUISubmenu is simply whether or not the selection is terminal or leads
to an additional submenu.*

*https://tdg.docbook.org/tdg/4.5/guimenuitem.html

If a GUIMenuItem is terminal, shouldn't there be only one? Our writers regularly include >1 inside
<menuchoice> but we don't get any validation errors. What did I miss?

thanks
--
David

"Unix never says please."