Subject: Re: [docbook] RDFa Lite inside <info>

Dave Pawson <dave.pawson@gmail.com> writes:
> On Sat, 3 Jul 2021 at 10:17, Norm Tovey-Walsh <ndw@nwalsh.com> wrote:
>> > Yes, the information should appear in the HTML source. If I'm not
>> > mistaken, RDFa Lite is currently not supported for the XSLT 1.0
>> > stylehsheets. This would need a customization layer (which I already
>> > have).
>>
>> Iâm pretty sure theyâre supported by the xslTNG stylesheets.
>
> What's the logic for making metadata available in HTML please?
> (To me) metadata is for 'other purposes' than viewing?

I donât know what Thomas has in mind, but Iâve often wanted to have
metadata pass from the DocBook sources to the HTML so that itâs
available for other downstream processing. For example, so that
JavaScript can read it.

> And @ndw - what's your view on the relationship (difference) between
> metadata and annotations please?

I tend to think of metadata as being about the document (this is itâs
title, this is itâs publication number, this is the set of keywords
related to it, etc.) and I tend to think of annotations as being
commentary for human readers. Of course, some metadata *is* usually for
human readers, like the document title, and you could write annotations
that werenât intended for display. I can imagine using annotations, for
example, to track an editorial process but having them stripped out of
the final publication.

Iâm quite pleased with the way the annotations are handled in the
annotated XML Catalogs specification I published last week:
https://xmlcatalogs.org/catalogs-1.1.html

Norman Tovey-Walsh <ndw@nwalsh.com>
https://nwalsh.com/