Subject: RE: [egov] Proposed Use Case template

Thanks, Ockert,

This is good news, even if Windows-specific in terms of OS on which
the toolset works, which is okay for me personally since it supports
Java and C++ which can then be worked on other platforms.

However, the question at issue isn't the cost of the toolset or even
a choice between one or another modeling language per se, although I
personally prefer UML. The question is one of grounding the
derivation of the use-cases. The simplified model of ontological
participants Farrukh suggests is very high level and assumes a Domain
Expert, Content Publisher and a Registry Group and that's fine at a
high level. I'm suggesting developing lower level scenarios more
appropriate to the domains for which Farrukh's model assumes a Domain
Expert.

I think we might want to put our initial focus there, gathering
exemplar scenarios that uses the template I offered which has already
seen some successful use in the WSRP TC for laying out roles,
functions and responsibilities before a modeling tool or model is
applied to formally analyze, operate, prepare comparative reports and
distribute reports in preparation for policy-making decisions or
other management actions. I think it might be wise to prepare such
materials in order to define requirements for what is needed to
perform functions such as gathering specific data inputs, classifying
and sorting inputs, filling in forms, performing transforms,
allocating IT resources, compiling statistical knowledge
representations of transformed data, preparing decision-making
models, etc.

In other words, it is actually a workflow decision on whether to
assume we know enough a priori to move immediately to a use-case
model or whether evaluating a population of scenarios grounded in
actual experience beforehand makes sense. The one reason I can think
of that favors evaluating scenarios first is that there may be more
than one or even a few use-case models that would serve better in
different situations, such as the differences between environmental
impact reports and developing building codes for different
microclimates and/or geological factors, or evaluating the effects of
trade policies long and short term, etc. I suspect that we probably
will find that we need to narrow down what constitutes a Domain
Expert for different domain sets.

Ciao,
Rex

--