legalcitem message

Subject: Re: [legalcitem] My apologies for missing today's meeting

Hi Jane -

Thanks. I can make this pretty easy. Subcommittees have the same machinery available as TCs but because they are creatures of the whole TC, they can operate informally - no concerns about voting rights, attendance, etc. Anything the SC produces ultimately has to go back to the TC for official action. So the TC can operate in a more relaxed manner.

1.       Someone suggested that we all subscribe to each of the subcommittee lists. When joining those, we have the option to join as member or observer. The language seems to indicate that you should choose member if you are a member of the full TC. But it seems it would be helpful, in terms of keeping track of the roster of subcommittee members, if nonmembers subscribe as observers. I know that Kristina joined some of the subcommittees as Observer. I joined all as Member, but it’s already caused some confusion. What’s the best way to do this?

In a way it really comes down to whether you want to get all the email or not. If you join an SC as an Observer, you will get email from the list but you won't be able to post anything to it. If you join as a Member, you can both receive and post. It will probably help the SC to know if you plan to participate directly and of course one way to do that is to join as an Observer (in which case you are saying that you're not).

2.       In looking at the subcommittee rosters, the only people listed as voters are the chairs of the subcommittees. Is that because we haven’t had subcommittee meetings yet and the rest of us would have to attend 2 subcommittee meetings before qualifying as voting members? Or should our voting status in the subcommittees track our voting status in the TC?

Well, that is an artifact of the way Kavi works. Kavi automatically makes the chair and secretary voting positions. However, Subcommittees don't really have any voting rules - again, very informal. So in an SC you really don't need to worry about voting rights at all. No need to track, etc.

And that raises an important additional point - attending SC meetings has no bearing on your TC voting rights. Only the TC meetings attended affect your standing there.

Does this answer the questions?

Best,

/chet

Thanks.

Best,

Jane (I’m new, so obviously not a voting member yet…)

Jane Larrington

Reference Librarian

University of San Diego

Legal Research Center