Subject: Re: [odf-adoption] ODF Adoption TC Call - 22 May 2007 - Minutes

On Wednesday 23 May 2007 06:48:09 Marbux wrote:
> > > Erwin is in contact with Carol regarding a blog aggregation /
> > > planet.
> >
> > There is one (i'm maintaining it)
> >
> > http://valdyas.org/freeOffice/
>
> I agree that opendocument.xml.org should not try to complete with the
> existing planet, particularly when Thomas has already exhibited his
> willingness to create and maintain it. Prominent linking to his
> planet, e.g., with a navigation tab on the opendocument.xml.org site
> would be a far better and easier solution.
[]
> > The traditional way to keep content is to turn it into a site where
> > the community provides content.  And you NEED the forums to do that.
> >
> > If I'm missing the deeper points, please give us a whitepaper or plan
> > for the site so we can think along.
>
> I agree. As I discussed earlier, I believe that the most appropriate
> role for the site is to serve as a communications center.
[]
> I agree with Thomas as to the Products section of the site. That
> should instead be linked to the Fellowship's site. They already
> maintain that service and competing with them is anti-collaborative.
[]
> As to the forums themselves, I would recommend cutting them back to
> two forums until such time as traffic builds and the need for
> distinguishing topics is apparent because those two forums attract
> too much discussion to remain optimal

> The site [] is
> nearly invisible in web search engine queries, largely because of a
> complete absence of meta keywords and a site meta description in the
> site's CSS page template.
[]
> But in the macro view, it's all about community  building. If you
> don't have a good strategy for building community, having the best
> software in the world won't help.

Marbux,

I think that your idea of having the site be a meta site binding all
others and therefor positioning itself as a hub within the existing ODF
universe is a good one.
Additionally allowing people to use forums (something I have not seen in
other ODF based sites) is something I'd like to see.

Having a small amount of forum topic is key, although I'd like to suggest
we have 3. I had good experiences while I was moderating java.net forums
with the 'announcements' section that lead application developers to the
site. Which are really good people to have frequent the forums since they
are very qualified to help answer user requests.

Cheers
--
Thomas Zander

PGP signature