Subject: Re: [office-comment] ODF still fails to specify scripting properly (ODF 1.2 CD01)

On Sun, Mar 1, 2009 at 1:18 PM,  <robert_weir@us.ibm.com> wrote:
> marbux <marbux@gmail.com> wrote on 03/01/2009 03:31:47 PM:
>

> I think we are close to this already.  The current draft says that
> Conformant ODF Producers "...may produce conforming OpenDocument extended
> documents, but it shall have a mode of operation where all OpenDocument
> documents that are created are conforming
> OpenDocument documents."

I suggest rewrite to make clear that the user shall be given the
option to set ODF Strict as the default file save format. As I recall,
what I propose here is a requirement in the Massachusetts ITD ETRM and
is also consistent with the IDABC Open Document Exchange Formats 2007
Workshop identified requirements of "No incomplete implementations, no
proprietary extensions[.]"
<http://ec.europa.eu/idabc/servlets/Doc?id=27956>. Moreover, the more
non-strict documents out there the bigger the interoperability mess
grows.

Those are concrete market requirements. As to market requirements, the
World Trade Organization Committee on Technical Barriers to Trade, the
oversight committee for the Agreement on Technical Barriers to Trade
has said:

"The following principles and procedures should be observed, when
international standards, guides and recommendations (as mentioned
under Articles 2, 5 and Annex 3 of the TBT Agreement for the
preparation of mandatory technical regulations, conformity assessment
procedures and voluntary standards) are elaborated, to ensure
transparency, openness, impartiality and consensus, effectiveness and
relevance, coherence, and to address the concerns of developing
countries.

"10. In order to serve the interests of the WTO membership in
facilitating international trade and preventing unnecessary trade
barriers, international standards need to be relevant and to
effectively respond to regulatory and *market needs,* as well as
scientific and technological developments in various countries. They
should not distort the global market, have adverse effects on fair
competition, or stifle innovation and technological development. ...

"11. Accordingly, it is important that international standardizing bodies:

"Take account of relevant regulatory or "market needs," as feasible
and appropriate, as well as scientific and technological developments
in the elaboration of standards ..."

World Trade Organization Committee on Technical Barriers to Trade,
Decisions and Recommendations Adopted by the Committee Since 1 January
1995 (May 23, 2002), pg. 28,
http://docsonline.wto.org/imrd/directdoc.asp?DDFDocuments/t/G/TBT/1R8.doc.

Best regards,

Paul E. Merrell, J.D.