Subject: Re: [office-formula] CONVERT

Eike:

> I propose three different functions:
>
> - EUROCONVERT with three required and two optional parameters and Excel
>   semantics for compatibility.

Okay, I'm easily sold on that.  Does anyone object?

Unless there are objections, I will modify my version of EUROCONVERT as suggested.

> - CONVERT with Excel/Gnumeric semantics, OOo will translate its
>   CONVERT_ADD into CONVERT.

Great!

> - CONVERT_UNIT as OOo's general purpose conversion function; may be
>   mapped by other applications to EUROCONVERT as long as no other
>   units/currencies are involved.

I'd prefer calling a general money-conversion function CONVERT_MONEY instead of CONVERT_UNIT, and limiting CONVERT_MONEY to money.  "UNIT" is too generic, and makes you think of meters, etc.  I think we want to separate the function that handles currency fluctuation (CONVERT_MONEY) from the ones that don't (CONVERT, EUROCONVERT).  That way, if an implementation loads an expression that uses CONVERT_MONEY, it immediately knows it has the "load up a conversion table" problem... and if that function doesn't appear, then it knows it does NOT need to deal with it.  Also, CONVERT_MONEY can signal that its result is a currency, just from the name.  You can't do that if you have a truly generic CONVERT_UNIT function, so it's not clear to me that we really WANT such a generic function as CONVERT_UNIT implies.

Having EUROCONVERT as its own function will mean that centuries from now, when those units are a memory, the function can be quietly dropped.

I agree that CONVERT_MONEY should quietly call/implement EUROCONVERT if given appropriate units.

> > There are a few functions left to do.  Anyone willing to pick up one of the last ones left?
>
> I'll first concentrate on a list of other TODOs I identified.

Great!  I was primarily hoping for inputs from others who haven't defined a function recently.