Subject: Re: [office-formula] CONVERT

Hi David,

On Tuesday, 2007-02-06 11:10:38 -0500, David A. Wheeler wrote:

> > - CONVERT_UNIT as OOo's general purpose conversion function; may be
> >   mapped by other applications to EUROCONVERT as long as no other
> >   units/currencies are involved.
>
> I'd prefer calling a general money-conversion function CONVERT_MONEY
> instead of CONVERT_UNIT, and limiting CONVERT_MONEY to money.  "UNIT"
> is too generic, and makes you think of meters, etc.

Actually that's what it can be used for in OOo too, hence I proposed
that name. We distribute OOo preconfigured with the fixed Euro currency
conversion factors, but the user is free to add any pair of units he
likes to the confguration. The mechanism of a shared configuration also
enables an enterprise to adapt rates at a central location. I'm pretty
convinced that this isn't used for anything else than money exchange
rates, but you never know..

CONVERT_ANY ? ;-)

Given the user-definable units it comes pretty near to how the function
actually is semantically defined.