Subject: Re: [office-formula] COUNTIFS function proposal

Eike Rathke <erack@sun.com> wrote on 06/04/2008 11:14:03 AM:

> Hi,
>
> Excel 2007 and ECMA/MOOXML introduced several new functions, of which we
> defined some, e.g. IFERROR, but seem to have missed the COUNTIFS
> function that counts logically ANDed conditional results, similar to
> what can be accomplished using SUM with conditions in array context,
> e.g. {=SUM((A1:B2>3)*(B4:B5>6))}. People seem to start using COUNTIFS
> and miss it in OOo when importing documents created in Excel.

I agree that we should be including all of the functions from MSO 2007.

> Note that the syntax and description given in the ECMA/MOOXML draft
> appear to be wrong, the examples seem to be correct though ...
>
> Syntax given:
> COUNTIFS ( count-range , cell-range-1 , selection-criteria-1 [ ,
> cell-range-2 , selection-criteria-2 [ , … ] ] )
>
> instead should be
> COUNTIFS ( cell-range-1 , selection-criteria-1 [ , cell-range-2 ,
> selection-criteria-2 [ , … ] ] )
>
> at least that seems to be what Excel 2007 expects, and count-range IMHO
> also wouldn't make sense, would have to investigate.
>
> Thoughts, opinions, comments, objections?

I don't see what count-range does at all.  OOXML has it as a required first parameter, but it doesn't appear to use it at all.  As you mention, the examples leave it out as well, which makes the examples contradict the text.

http://www.ecma-international.org/news/TC45_current_work/Office%
> 20Open%20XML%20Part%204%20-%20Markup%20Language%20Reference.pdf
> ?

There is no public version since the version you have.  But I have the post-BRM final DIS version and can confirm that the error you indicated still exists.

-Rob