Subject: Re: [office-metadata] Metadata only for Content

Hi!

Bruce D'Arcus wrote:
List is here Svante (under "Documents Objects Described with Metadata" section):

<http://wiki.oasis-open.org/office/Associating_Metadata_with_Document_Content>

Thanks for the link, Bruce.

Before I start to collect a list of "Documents Objects", I would like to manifest the axioms on which the domain and search algorithm for the "Documents Objects" is based on:
  1. For now the "Documents Objects" will be a subset of ODF v1.1
    Taken from the latest OpenDocument v1.1 Relax-NG Schema (extracted from chapter 1 to 16 of the specification).
  2. The "Documents Objects" are solely ODF XML elements.
    No attributes have to be referred. The reason is that attributes are always closely connected to their element and no multiple attributes with the same name may exist in XML.
    Therefore if Metadata should refer to the attribute, they might as well refer to the parent element.
  3. No XML elements describing Styles or Metadata will be part of this subset
    • Styles are the formatting of Content and therefore have a relation in ODF to Content. Metadata as well will have a relation in ODF to Content. But only as Metadata and Styles often correlate, does not mean they have a direct semantic relation. They only have an indirect relation over the same content they are referring to.
      (There might be the idea of adding an attribute to a style to express it's consistent relation to a certain Metadata, but this won't need the same generic mechanism to relate multiple Metadata to content and is therefore neglected. Moreover it is redundant information).
    • Metadata about Metadata might be a written as a new instance of Metadata and can therefore be neglected as well.
  4. A "Document Object" is either the Document itself or needs to have 'user data' as descendent (XPath axes)
    User data can be any text or binary data the user added to the document aside of Styles and MetaData.
Any comments, before I try my XSLT skills on this?

Best regards,