Subject: Re: [office-metadata] clarifying fields and metadata

Bruce,

Bruce D'Arcus wrote:

> On Mar 13, 2007, at 8:36 AM, Svante Schubert wrote:
>
>> I assume that "Jane Doe" is the patient, who is described as
>> "http://ex.net/contacts/2";.
>> Why not say the following:
>>
>>    <text:meta-label
>>        meta:about="http://ex.net/contacts/2";
>>        meta:property="ex:salutation">Dear Jane Doe</text:meta-label>
>
> That's different though. Here I presume you mean by meta:property
> essentially a display property. I'd expect that in many cases, that
> would be up to implementations to define, and it wouldn't be needed.
By using especially the 'text:meta-label' instead of common ODF elements
using RDFa (like text:p or text:meta with about/property) there is
already a differentiation for this text-portion.
This was the reasons to introduce this element. By doing so the
application has the chance to address and possibly view the content
differently.

Why not take 'meta:property' to describe the label you are using?
In case we would not have an extra citation field, the various forms of
citation fields could be distinguished by the RDF predicate.
> I'd say we want an optional attribute called text:display-property.
Could you define the function of a text:display-property attribute?

> In any case, my example was the medical use case, where a doctor is
> adding triples to their content.
>
>> and moving the triple
>> <http://ex.net/contacts/1> <http://medical.org/patient>
>> <http://ex.net/contacts/2> .
>> into RDF/XML?
>
> This is an interesting question indeed.
>
>> IMHO by giving the label a RDF predicate describing the label the
>> need of the meta:resource is no longer given and the usage of less
>> attributes makes it easier for the user.
>
> It definitely doesn't make it "easier for the user", as in each case
> they want to make the same statement. From a UI standpoint it
> shouldn't make any difference really.
>
> I think if it makes it easier for anyone, it's us!
ODF users might get confused, if there is a third attribute
meta:resource aside meta:about and meta:property or if there is only a
single meta:about.
Actually I was, when I first saw it. I really like the clearness and
consistency of one triple each element. My 2 cents.