Subject: Re: [office-metadata] fields proposal

On Mar 26, 2007, at 9:33 AM, Svante Schubert wrote:

> Bruce D'Arcus wrote:
>>
>> To me, as I've said before, I have what is basically a hunch that
>> it's a bad idea to put crucial information outside the field. In
>> this approach, the field would just be a dumb container.
>>
>> What happens, for example, if I copy-and-paste the field between
>> documents?
>>
> If part of the citation would be in RDF/XML it would be
> standardized and should be copied. Today you are also able to copy
> an image, which is as well not in the content.xml.
> Do you fear that parsing RDF/XML would be the barrier to implement
> the citation feature at all?
> That might be right, but won't be an argument to restrict text:meta-
> fields from using RDF/XML.

Yes, I'm worried about fields breaking as content gets moved around
(between documents or applications).

In terms of standardization, I'd prefer to just standardize an
attribute or two and maybe some style URIs than to have define the
stuff in OWL. Their only purpose, after all, is to say "this field
refers to this resource." And the RDF is likely pretty much
irrelevant outside the file.