Subject: Re: [office] Suggested ODF1.2 items

Hi Florian,

first of all: thank you very much for compiling this list of enhancements.

My understanding of most of your items is that they shall improve the
interoperability between OpenDocument and Microsoft Word/Office Open XML
(OOX). So, you propose to add some Word features to OpenDocument that
you believe can not be represented in OpenDocument, and you propose to
deprecate some features that OpenDocument supports but Word/OOX does
not, or to discourage their use. Is that correct?

Well, I'm very open to discuss enhancements to OpenDocument if they
improve the interoperability with MS Word/OOX. But at the same time, I
see no reason for deprecating existing OpenDocument features (or to
discourage their use) because Word/OOX does not support them. Instead, I
think they should be added to OOX/Word.

Frankly, I think your item list is somehow unbalanced in this aspect. It
proposes to add Word/OOX features that are in your point of view missing
in OpenDocument to OpenDocument, but rather than recommending to add
those OpenDocument features that are not supported by OOX/Word to the
two, you propose to deprecate them in OpenDocument. I'm a little bit
surprised that you propose this to the OpenDocument TC, in particular
since Novell is a member of ECMA TC45, and therefore should be able to
make proposals for OOX, too.

A last question just for curiosity. My assumption is that you are making
these proposals because you would like to implement them. Will this be
in OpenOffice.org, or will this be in some other implementation?