Subject: Re: [office] Proposal for Index, Combining Entries, pp and passim

On Nov 24, 2006, at 7:31 AM, Michael Brauer - Sun Germany - ham02 -
Hamburg wrote:

> It seems to me that the "45pp" example in section 7.8.1 in fact is a
> translation of the German "45ff".

No. As I mentioned last week "ff" is also used in English (so it must
be Latin).

Note, however, this is really bad practice (why, after all, remove
information gratuitously like this?), and most major style guides
discourage their use for that reason. To quote the most recent Chicago
Manual of Style (section 18.12):

"The abbreviation ff. or et seq. should never be used in an index."

> Unfortunately, it is not sufficient to  change the example to either
> "XML 45-48 passim" or "XML, pp. 45-48", because the description of the
> "text:combine-entries-with-pp" states
>
> "As the start number with a pp label, or the appropriate label for the
> chosen language, using the text:combine-entries-with-pp attribute"

This is a different kind of example though. Note also that I don't ever
recall seeing indices with "page" or "pp" prefixes. Seems quite
strange.

Bruce