Subject: Re: [office] List Proposal Vote Deadline on Wednesday

Greetings!

I would like to ask on the list that Michael *not* reply to this posting
or any similar postings to the office list.

When the rhetoric reaches this level, meaningful discussion simply isn't
possible.

Note to any non-TC members reading this post: This is not indicative of
the usual level of discussion in this TC nor should be taken as a
reflection on the excellent technical work done in the past, present and
future by this TC.

Hope everyone is having a great weekend otherwise!

Patrick

marbux wrote:

> On 5/4/07, Michael Brauer - Sun Germany - ham02 - Hamburg
> <Michael.Brauer@sun.com> wrote:
>
>> Marbux,
>>
>> this is the discussion list of the OASIS OpenDocument TC. We should
>> treat ourselves with respect on this mailing list and should trust
>> our TC colleagues. We further should abstain from putting pressure on
>> other TC members and should be careful with accusations.
>

> Oh, should that trust of our TC colleagues extend to the reps of
> companies who secretly complain to OASIS about the OpenDocument
> Foundation having too many participants on the TC? Or to TC colleagues
> who use their position as TC chairman to ensure that no new features
> get added to the ODF specification that their company isn't willing to
> support? Or to TC colleagues willing to break their competitors' app
> by ramming their proposal through without consensus, despite this TC
> never before having done so before?  Or to TC colleagues so hell-bent
> on breaking interoperability with the software -- used (by various
> estimates) by between 72 and 90 per cent of the office productivity
> software users on this planet -l- that they're willing to leave their
> potential customers with no choice but to violate the law if they
> adopt their software?
>
> Of course I should unwaverlingly trust everyone on the TC, with my
> very life if need be. You are absolutely right, Michael. I'm the only
> one on this TC who has been playing hardball. Everyone else is acting
> purely in the spirit of collegiality. I am so sorry that I even
> suspected Sun might be concerned about MS Office acquiring the ability
> to read and write ODF natively. Please forgive me for suspecting that
> your company has a vested interest in remaining the dominant supplier
> of ODF-based software and that your company's vote on the list
> proposal that breaks Microsoft Office interoperability with ODF might
> have been tainted by the slightest bit of self-interest. Thank you for
> the rebuke. I deserved it and you've caused me to realize that there
> isn't a software company on this planet that would attempt to subvert
> the standardization process to gain a competitive advantage. Suddenly,
> the paranoia that has clouded my judgment throughout my legal career
> and my retirement has lifted. Now I realize that all of those poor
> corporate folk I sued in my life were totally innocent of any ill
> motive whatsoever. How can I possibly atone for all those punitive
> damage awards that I obtained with what in retrospect was entirely
> spurious evidence that I slipped past a host of judges? I am so
> grateful that you have awoken me from my detached sense of reality.
> How can I possibly repay you for your invaluable lesson on proper
> manners.  Hey, how about we start a Manners Subcommittee with you as
> the chairman? You have such a gift for teaching this subject! I'd be
> glad to help in any way I can, maybe doing testimonials for you great
> your moral leadership has been.

> [...]

Patrick@Durusau.net
Member, Text Encoding Initiative Board of Directors, 2003-2005