Subject: Re: [office] xml:lang settings. Confused.

Dave,

Dave Pawson wrote:
> On 19/06/07, Eike Rathke <erack@sun.com> wrote:
>

> Why can't the xml:lang be used throughout?
> For clarity where does 'western' finish and (presumably ) Eastern start?
> xml:lang is so much simpler.

ODF has an style:script-type attribute that (optionally) provides hints
where the script types start and end. It's defined in section 15.4.21.

>> > Give a hint? Surely the spec needs to be stronger, and explicit in how
>> > the default language is obtained.
>>
>> Well, the <office:document-meta> <office:meta> <dc:creator> element
>> specifies the document's default language.
>
> Shouldn't that be dc:language?

It is <dc:language>. <dc:creator> seems to be a typo.

>> > An I18N mess?
>>
>> Seems like.
>>
>> > How to get this on the agenda for  1.2?
>>
>> I'd like to hear what the decision was to have this Western/CJK/CTL
>> approach in ODF. To me it seems it originated in some behavior of that
>> MS-Word text processor.
>
> Oh dear. That doesn't sound good.

Well, to the best of my knowledge MS Word also has different attributes
for Western, CJK and CTL text.

But the different attributes for the language, and also for other
attributes like the font family, do exist for usability reasons. If you
write a mixed text, you probably don't want to assign the language to
every piece of text that does not have the default language. In
particular, since you in practice do not only have to assign the
language, but in many situations also the font family, and sometimes
even the font height and weight. For that reason, ODF has different
attribute sets for these attribute, so that the user can set them once
in the style, and from than on does not have to care about them any longer.

> regards

I hope this helps.

StarOffice/OpenOffice.org
http://blogs.sun.com/GullFOSS

        D-85551 Kirchheim-Heimstetten
Amtsgericht Muenchen: HRB 161028
Geschaeftsfuehrer: Marcel Schneider, Wolfgang Engels, Dr. Roland Boemer