Subject: Re: [office] YEARFRAC, etc.

> Well, inartfully worded, I suspect: "All months have 30 days." covers
> all the cases. Yes? Looks like someone got tied up in how many days each
> month has. Really irrelevant if you want to say that all months have 30
> days. Just say that, full stop. How an application treats a particular
> date is determined by that rule, every month has 30 days. What more need
> be said?

The provided definition is not inartful.  There is no JTC1 requirement for artful definitions.  What we have here is simply broken, useless, non-functional, unimplementable and yet another indictment of a review process in JTC1 that failed to accomplish even a basic level of quality.  Far from getting "tied up in how days each month has", the sole purpose of date counting conventions is to establish these very conventions in a clear and unambiguous manner.  This is hard to do if you don't come to grips with how many days are in a month.  If this is not done, then you do not have a standard.

Noting that the entire formula subcommittee has stated that these definitions are technically inadequate (and they are the ones who would know) I'd be pleased if our ODF 1.2 Editor would simply acknowledge that these OOXML definitions are broken and assure us that he will do his best to ensure that ODF 1.2 does not have similar lapses.  I in turn will strive to do the same.