Subject: Re: [office] Re: [office-comment] Further comment on ODF_1.0_Errata_draft_3

Dennis,

Dennis E. Hamilton wrote:
> Patrick,
>
> It seems to me that the source of ambiguity and possible implementer
> confusion is removed by deleting the parenthetical observation if it is
> clear that the syntactically-allowed and the semantically-allowed values are
> coextensive.  (I, for one, have my doubts about negative "physical lengths"
> especially when "magnitude" is used in the explanation.).  Maybe it is
> better to remove the parenthetical remark and add the statement "Note that
> negative lengths are allowed.  Compare with nonNegativeLength and
> positiveLength." although I would love to know how negative lengths are
> treated (and I am not going to go looking at this point, trusting that the
> definition of attributes having this kind of value are sufficiently
> precise).
>
> I agree that the schemata given for lengths in the ODF schema are definitive
> with regard to the syntax (but notice that the non-zero constraint for
> positiveLength is expressed in a comment, not in the pattern.

Well, but in addition to the reference to XSL 1.0, 5.9.11, the
definition of length in the schema rather clearly allows zero as a value.

Whether that is a good idea in all cases or not I can't say.

Even though I don't consider it to be a "defect," I would in a future
version re-cast the definitions as "like" strikes me as a very vague
term to use in a standard. Either define it or leave it alone.

Hope you are having a great day!

Patrick

>  - Dennis

patrick@durusau.net