Subject: RE: [office] Coordination Call Attendance

From: robert_weir@us.ibm.com [mailto:robert_weir@us.ibm.com]
http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/office/200810/msg00003.html
Sent: Wednesday, October 01, 2008 22:02
To: 'OpenDocument Mailing List'

"Dennis E. Hamilton" <dennis.hamilton@acm.org> wrote on 09/29/2008
09:43:28 AM:
http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/office/200809/msg00113.html

> Michael and Robert,
>
> I notice that the membership and voting membership of OASIS TCs is
rather
> fluid.

Membership is more fluid than voting membership.  Any OASIS member can
join as a TC member or remove themselves as a member at will.  Just click
a button and it happens.  Voting membership, however, is obtained (and
lost) in accordance with well-defined rules.  However the attendance
tracking tool we use is not ideal.  Although it will track how many voting
members attended a particular meeting (for quorum requirements) it does
not determine who is a voting member.  Chairs need to do this
determination manually.  Also, although it records who was in attendance
at a given meeting it only tallies the total number of voting members.  It
does not break it down further.

[ ... ]

> This is also moderately useful historically, since otherwise it is not
clear
> in minutes of past meetings how the body was constituted at that time.
(It
> also has a parliamentary function around reconsideration, although I
don't
> expect that to be of much concern.)

[ ... ]

So, I think that in practice, we already record the votes in all
non-consensus questions.  I'm not sure whether there is any advantage to
doing this for all votes.  But it is certainly your right, as a member, to
request, for any particular question, a roll-call vote in accordance with
Robert's Rules.  A motion to have a roll-call vote requires majority
approval.

[ ... ]