Subject: RE: [office] DSIG proposal - URIs, Packages, and Namespaces - Proposal CORRECTION

I don't understand this comment.  Are you saying that 2.6 is incorrect?

I agree that the statement about not being to refer into a package from
outside is a mistake.  The ODF specification has no standing in saying what
people can do from outside of an ODF package.  Based on our extensive
experience with 17.5 in ODF 1.0/1.1, that claim should simply be removed.

On the other hand, based on the same experience with 17.5, I believe the
rules for URIs in ODF content within the package are intended: (1) URIs
within a package can refer to material in the same package and outside of
the package but (2) not back inside of a package from outside (the same one
or another).  And (3) resolution of a relative-path URI is by interpreting
the base URI to be the hypothetical location of the stream having the URI,
as if the package were expanded in the usual way into a directory of a file
system.

Do you agree that those cases in 2.6 do apply to the metadata RDF contained
within an ODF package?

 - Dennis

-----Original Message-----
From: Svante.Schubert@Sun.COM [mailto:Svante.Schubert@Sun.COM]
http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/office/200901/msg00067.html
Sent: Thursday, January 08, 2009 11:58
To: dennis.hamilton@acm.org
Cc: 'Bob Jolliffe'; 'office TC'; 'Jomar Silva'; 'Michael Brauer'
Subject: Re: [office] DSIG proposal - URIs, Packages, and Namespaces -
Proposal CORRECTION

The Package section 2.6 is indeed mistakable. Of course should resources
within the ODF package be referable from outside.
The usability of that package would be poor if this is not possible.
If someone annotates parts of the package (files, XML elements) with
metadata, it is desirable to refer/point directly to them.

Regards,
Svante

http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/office/200901/msg00066.html