Subject: Re: [office] Conformance Clause proposal, Version 8

On 09.02.09 12:09, David Faure wrote:
> On Monday 09 February 2009, Michael Brauer - Sun Germany - ham02 - Hamburg wrote:
>> That means, even if you take the strict conformance definition that does
>> not allow foreign elements and attributes, you can add as many namespace
>> declaration as you want, and you can use them in as many attribute
>> values as you want.

I should have been clearer. Of cause, one can use namespaced values only
for those attributes that allow namespaced values, like the
table:formula attribute.

> This is a rather strange notion of strict conformance, isn't it?
>
> <ooo:foo><text:p>hello</text:p></ooo:foo> in not allowed, but

This would not be allowed, because fo:text-align does not support
namespaced values. I agree that, if that would be allowed, this would be
strange.

What I would like to add here that even in a conformance mode that
allows foreign elements and attributes as in ODF 1.1, your 2nd example
with 'foreign attribute values' would not be valid.

> This could be fun...
> fo:background-color="ooo:fancy" fo:border="ooo:hexagonal" fo:margin-bottom="ooo:not too big please" fo:padding="ooo:better have some" style:wrap="ooo:chicken curry"

This is a good example. It shows how a document would get
uninterpretable because custom attribute values are used at places where
the specification does not explicitly allow them.

Actually, the situation is not much different as with foreign elements
and attributes. The schema defines the permitted content of an element
in a similar way as it defines the permitted content of an attribute value.

If we allow foreign elements and attributes, then this essentially means
that the content could also be something else. Interpreting this is as
difficult as interpreting your example above. The only difference is
that there is the fallback to either ignore the element, or to look into
its content. This however means that the foreign elements and attributes
simply are like non-existing information for any other application than
that has has saved them.

StarOffice/OpenOffice.org
http://blogs.sun.com/GullFOSS

	   D-85551 Kirchheim-Heimstetten