Subject: Re: [office] "document template"

Hi Dennis

On Thu, Jul 14, 2011 at 4:45 PM, Dennis E. Hamilton
<dennis.hamilton@acm.org> wrote:
> A case that interests me is what happens if the template is changed after a document that depended on it is produced?  What if a template of the same name exists at the consumer who opens a document that was produced from a template of the same name (the famous normal.dot comes to mind)?

As far as I remember, a template is only used to format the document
during it's initial creation, and to provide for users a special set
of pre-defined styles that they can use on the document. I never heard
(or saw) an office document use case as you present here.

The way you're explaining here looks like the .css usage on HTML
files, but I don't think that we have something similar to that in the
real world of office documents.

> None of these behaviors or anything else is addressed in the specification, and I'm not sure that it can be.

I have serious doubts if this is something that we may address in the
specification:

1. Do we need really to explain to people how-to use templates ?

2. If we do so, how big is the risk of halting innovation on this area ?

Best,

Jomar